The Student Room Group

Creative Writing: UEA vs Lancaster

Hello! I’ve recently submitted my UCAS application and I’ve applied for both of these schools. The course I chose for UEA is Eng Lit with Creative Writing (75% Lit, 25% CW) and the course I chose for Lancaster is Eng Lit, Creating Writing & Practice (50% Lit, 50% CW)

Obviously I haven’t gotten the results back yet but in the scenario that I get accepted into both, I’m unsure as to which would be a wiser choice. I’m aware that UEA has produced several well known writers and was recognised as a prestigious school for Creative Writing. However, most of the articles and reviews mentioning that seem to date back to around 2016. As such, I’m wondering whether UEA’s reputation still holds up now. Since its ranking on the QS charts isn’t amazing, I don’t think it would be a good choice unless its reputation is still as good.

As for Lancaster, I came to know about it because of its ranking on the QS charts, which far outranks UEA’s. In terms of employability it also ranks much higher. But since the charts do not elaborate much, I’m not too sure whether this properly reflects reality. Many people have also advised me not to care too much about rankings but I don’t know whether that is good advice.

Since I’m not local to England, I really have no idea which school is better known for creative writing and which would be a more advisable choice. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with my questions. Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading it all!
Go with UEA. It invented CW courses, and its still outstanding.
You are wise to go for 'Eng with CW' - CW on its own isnt taken that seriously by employers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending