Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm currently in Y11 and I've been looking into what courses I'd like to take next year. I want to do BTEC Health and Social Care. The University near me accepts the Level 3 Extended Diploma. In one college, theres a Level 3 and a Level 3 Extended Diploma course, and you have to take the level 3 before the extended one, meaning I'd be in college for 3 years. However at another college, you can go and fo the level 3 extended diploma for 2 years, then go to college.

Am i missing something here? Why is one college offering the extended diploma and the other making it mandatory to do the level 3 then the extended diploma? The entry requirement for the GCSE results are the same.
Badges: 14
Report 10 months ago
Hi, is the first level 3 course the BTEC national foundation diploma? I'm doing that course now (in business though) and how it works is that you get a qualification worth 1.5 A levels after a year and then you can choose to progress to the 2nd year and do the remaining 1.5 A levels to make it up to the extended diploma. It's the exact same as the extended diploma. It just depends on how the college delivers it as on the extended course it might be expected that you will do both years (though I'm fairly sure you still get the foundation qualification anyway if you decide to leave). On the foundation course, it's totally up to you whether or not you want to continue and pathways after the first year might be promoted a bit more.

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
to top
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (366)
No (68)

Watched Threads

View All