Oxford university masters applications 2 deadlines

Watch
irondefficient
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm planning to apply for a master's degree at Oxford uni, and I noticed that there's 2 application deadlines (Nov and Jan). I've asked the admissions office about this and they claimed that it was to accommodate for foreign applicants (who get their grades later) and make sure the professors don't get overloaded with applications.

I don't know if I'm just paranoid... but I simply don't understand how biases can be avoided with this system! Surely the earlier applications will seem inherently better because the later applications will not have been considered yet? Also, what would happen if an applicant in the first batch received an offer, but a better applicant came in during the second batch? Could they lose their offer and be replaced?
jduxie4414
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe you don't receive an offer until after both deadlines? I don't get why they don't make it just the later deadline tbh!
irondefficient
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by jduxie4414)
Maybe you don't receive an offer until after both deadlines? I don't get why they don't make it just the later deadline tbh!
The earlier deadline is specifically for applicants who "want an early response" so I'd assume you can get an offer early... But yeah exactly, why not leave all applications until the final deadline and go over them in one go?
jduxie4414
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by irondefficient)
The earlier deadline is specifically for applicants who "want an early response" so I'd assume you can get an offer early... But yeah exactly, why not leave all applications until the final deadline and go over them in one go?
Very weird indeed!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As above, it's to accommodate people from different parts of the world with different term dates etc. The same is also true of undergraduate courses there (people applying from Asia have earlier deadlines to allow the university to see their application and then make arrangements as necessary for interview where applicable).

If anything the later deadline would probably be more favourable as it gives applicants more time to arrange appropriate references, more time for pending publications to be peer reviewed, etc. Additionally most masters programmes have far fewer applicants than undergrad courses at Oxbridge so the deadlines are just administrative matters and aren't going to make a difference if e.g. there are only 10 applications for 3 places.

If you wish to construct a narrative in advance where you are somehow disadvantaged by this then you can do so but realise that reflects more on you than on the admissions systems of whatever universities you may apply to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (443)
56.36%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.64%

Watched Threads