The Student Room Group

My childhood

I had a 2 siblings and my dad in our house. So in my childhood I was given lots of work in during the day before I go back to school in the school holidays and I go back to school my mum would set them work after school as well so we didn’t get much free time to just chill. Once when I was younger my mum just told us it’s back to reality soon as September is coming up and I said I don’t want to do loads of work after school. I just got told I have no choice, I said everyone else gets to play after school, watch tv and play on games and I said it’s unfair so I said life’s not fair. I just had a tantrum over it because I told my mum so many times but she was making us doing work when he gets home weather we like it or not and it ended up I ended having a tantrum. On school days during the week I make us do work for a few hours after school then she let us watch tv for about an hour before bed. I just wantEd to just come home from school and watch tv all evening but no my mum said that will ruin our education.

My dad helped he went and bought my brother a game console for my older siblings birthday after them asking him but my husband knew full well our mum was going to say no because she banned game consoles are banned from this house. She got him to return the console back to the shop, my sibling was so annoyed over it saying he wants to keep it but my mum made it clear no but my mum made my dad run to the garage with the to lock the box in otherwise my son would unpackaged it. My dad also bought a watch which my mum knew nothing about because we knew she’ll say return it immediately so got my dad to hide it but my mum begged my dad to return it in the end, he then had the tried to argue and say it’s his money and his buying a present for his me. My mum kept asking him to return it so I’m the end he did. She kept moaning about money of the gifts I was upset about the fact my mum thought that was a good idea to take gifts off us. I don’t know what she thinks she was getting him to return all these things.

One me and my were asking for a food to my dad because we very very rarely even got takeaways but my mum said leave it because I’m making the usual food as always, my dad agreed he’s not getting it and told us no. She goes to have a shower for 15 or 20 minutes and we just sneak out in my dads car and my mum come out sees my brother holding a big bag, asks what is in and he don’t say so she keeps asking but still doesn’t say. She just wrestled the bag off him to find what we have got and finds out been to out. So I chuck the food outside in the garden for the birds and make everyone her food. I’m just honestly been thinking about all this, this was my childhood we had to go behind her back to get some food and she throws it away considering we barley had food out we always had her food every single day. So yes that was my childhood
Original post by Anonymous
I had a 2 siblings and my dad in our house. So in my childhood I was given lots of work in during the day before I go back to school in the school holidays and I go back to school my mum would set them work after school as well so we didn’t get much free time to just chill. Once when I was younger my mum just told us it’s back to reality soon as September is coming up and I said I don’t want to do loads of work after school. I just got told I have no choice, I said everyone else gets to play after school, watch tv and play on games and I said it’s unfair so I said life’s not fair. I just had a tantrum over it because I told my mum so many times but she was making us doing work when he gets home weather we like it or not and it ended up I ended having a tantrum. On school days during the week I make us do work for a few hours after school then she let us watch tv for about an hour before bed. I just wantEd to just come home from school and watch tv all evening but no my mum said that will ruin our education.

My dad helped he went and bought my brother a game console for my older siblings birthday after them asking him but my husband knew full well our mum was going to say no because she banned game consoles are banned from this house. She got him to return the console back to the shop, my sibling was so annoyed over it saying he wants to keep it but my mum made it clear no but my mum made my dad run to the garage with the to lock the box in otherwise my son would unpackaged it. My dad also bought a watch which my mum knew nothing about because we knew she’ll say return it immediately so got my dad to hide it but my mum begged my dad to return it in the end, he then had the tried to argue and say it’s his money and his buying a present for his me. My mum kept asking him to return it so I’m the end he did. She kept moaning about money of the gifts I was upset about the fact my mum thought that was a good idea to take gifts off us. I don’t know what she thinks she was getting him to return all these things.

One me and my were asking for a food to my dad because we very very rarely even got takeaways but my mum said leave it because I’m making the usual food as always, my dad agreed he’s not getting it and told us no. She goes to have a shower for 15 or 20 minutes and we just sneak out in my dads car and my mum come out sees my brother holding a big bag, asks what is in and he don’t say so she keeps asking but still doesn’t say. She just wrestled the bag off him to find what we have got and finds out been to out. So I chuck the food outside in the garden for the birds and make everyone her food. I’m just honestly been thinking about all this, this was my childhood we had to go behind her back to get some food and she throws it away considering we barley had food out we always had her food every single day. So yes that was my childhood

your mum sounds like an absoulute control freak ngl! i think she just wants whats best for you tho
Reply 2
Original post by nikkiblonsky
your mum sounds like an absoulute control freak ngl! i think she just wants whats best for you tho

Maybe but my childhood isn’t something that I look back on like what other kid had the same childhood as me
Maybe but my childhood isn’t something that I look back on like what other kid had the same childhood as me

yeh i get what you mean.. I suggest you talk with your dad about why your mum decided to do what she did and maybe going to after school clubs?
Reply 4
yeh i get what you mean.. I suggest you talk with your dad about why your mum decided to do what she did and maybe going to after school clubs?

We live separate now from her
We live separate now from her

oh well then id just suggest moving on from her then maybe take up a hobby?
Reply 6
oh well then id just suggest moving on from her then maybe take up a hobby?

I have one, I work on my cars and I am building a shed atm
I have one, I work on my cars and I am building a shed atm

oh well that sounds cool! like I said try to forget about it and maybe consider therapy?
Reply 8
Perhaps there was a struggle with the finances that you did not know about.
And many parents dont buy takeaway.

What is the issue with being a functioning member of the household? Thats reasonable, you live in the house, you need to help out around it.
Regarding your school work she sounds like a pretty good parent to make sure you didnt procrastinate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
oh well that sounds cool! like I said try to forget about it and maybe consider therapy?

I’m not sure I don’t think it effected my personality much it just ruined my childhood. I had this up to the ages of 18/19, it kind of reduced a lot by that age but I was kind of controlled and they had family issues so we ended splitting up
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Perhaps there was a struggle with the finances that you did not know about.
And many parents dont buy takeaway.

What is the issue with being a functioning member of the household? Thats reasonable, you live in the house, you need to help out around it.

No there really wasn’t financial issues my parents were actually quite wealthy compared to other people, they owned the house, had building work done all the time and they wasn’t financially stable gifts should not have got bought in the first place but we were financially stable but she was just tight with money. I literally got told we are financially stable.
Reply 11
No there really wasn’t financial issues my parents were actually quite wealthy compared to other people, they owned the house, had building work done all the time and they wasn’t financially stable gifts should not have got bought in the first place but we were financially stable but she was just tight with money. I literally got told we are financially stable.

Parents dont always tell their kids about that kind of thing, they dont want them to worry.
Not to mention that not having a lot of money or not spending a lot of money does not ruin someone's childhood.
Parents dont always tell their kids about that kind of thing, they dont want them to worry.
Not to mention that not having a lot of money or not spending a lot of money does not ruin someone's childhood.

No but most kids had game consoles to play on when they got home from school and we didn’t. We just got ours returned to the shop, we barely had takeaways, after school everyday I had to do work for hours even though I just have been to school all day and it was so bad. If I got it bought for me then that shows they are stable to buy it and I know 100% they were stable financially enough to pay for it, my mum was just tight
And that's how you get childhood trauma. But, she may have some type of trauma or some type of problem no wonder she acted this way! x
Original post by deadroseex
And that's how you get childhood trauma. But, she may have some type of trauma or some type of problem no wonder she acted this way! x

She had a bad childhood as well
Reply 15
No but most kids had game consoles to play on when they got home from school and we didn’t. We just got ours returned to the shop, we barely had takeaways, after school everyday I had to do work for hours even though I just have been to school all day and it was so bad. If I got it bought for me then that shows they are stable to buy it and I know 100% they were stable financially enough to pay for it, my mum was just tight

Your father could have bought it irresponsibly. Just because you can afford it in the moment doesnt mean you can afford it when it comes time to buy groceries. How old are you now?
How is it your mum's fault that you had to do homework?
You sound like your just being dramatic.
Your father could have bought it irresponsibly. Just because you can afford it in the moment doesnt mean you can afford it when it comes time to buy groceries. How old are you now?
How is it your mum's fault that you had to do homework?
You sound like your just being dramatic.

I’m op but wtf. You know nothing, you think she was a good parent it’s alright you sitting there saying all that but you know nothing, it’s my mums fault I had to do because it wasn’t homework ffs she literally set me hours of work everyday that wasn’t homework from school so I had homework on top of all her work and my parents were fully financially stable with shopping and everything they we financially stable to buy stuff but it was my mum who was just tight. I’m not telling you how old I now, you think I’m being over dramatic do you, actually wow, all everything I said in the original post is not even half of how my mum treated me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending