Which Economics applicant has a better chance at getting into a top uni?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My friend & I recently sent off our UCAS Applications. We are both applying to study Economics at the exact same universities (LSE, UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Bath). I would say that our Personal Statements are of equal standard; however, I've got better GCSE grades than him. For A Level, I'm predicted 4A* and an A (A* for Chem, Maths, Econs, EPQ and A for Further Maths) while he is predicted 3A* and an A (A* for Maths, Further Maths, Econs and A for EPQ & Physics). When our UCAS Referee sent off our applications, he said nothing to me except that applying to Cambridge is like buying a lottery ticket. However, to my friend, he said that he thinks that my friend can get into all his universities - but the A for Physics might be his Achilles Heel. Obviously, this upset my friend who then turned to me, asking me why our referee hadn't said the same thing to me regarding my A in FM. Hence, my question is, disregarding the difference in EPQ grades (as tbh, they don't really matter) - which is a more 'competitive' application to study Economics? Having 3A* for all other subjects but an A in FM, or having 3A* for all other subjects (including FM) but an A in a regular subject? My friend had always thought that his application would be more 'competitive' than mine, given his higher grade in FM, but our referee seems to think otherwise as he believes that having straight A*s in everything (but an A in FM) is more impressive than having an A* in FM (and 2 other subjects), but an A in the 4th as it shows more breadth and general skill in a range of subjects, rather than just being good at Mathematics. However, obvi my friend thought otherwise as he assumed that top universities like Econs applicants who've done FM, so having the higher grade for FM would be the upper hand. What do you think? (Sorry if the question was long & didn't make sense; I was just unsure how to ask it in a concise manner).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Oops, correction, he is predicted 3A* and 2A (A* - econ, FM, Maths and A for EPQ and physics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
20.83%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.33%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.33%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.42%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (13)
27.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
25%

Watched Threads