a-fLaw-student
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
heya Image I am going to be applying to Oxford this year, and I am so torn between my 6 top choices. I'm really struggling to find genuine reviews/analyses of the colleges and personal opinions on which would be best.

I am looking for a college that;
- Is progressive and diverse in culture, has a strong state-private ratio
- Is good for Law
- Has kitchens available to 1st years to self-cater
- Has a community feel
- Good social spaces

My thoughts so far: St Johns, St Edmund Hall, Worcester, Mansfield, Wadham and Balliol.

If you have any ideas/opinions - please let me know! (right now... I think I'm really leaning towards St Johns, but my thoughts keep changing)
jduxie4414
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry, I'm applying this year too so I won't be much help - but I'm applying to Oriel!

What course are you applying for?
elilast
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by a-fLaw-student)
heya Image I am going to be applying to Oxford this year, and I am so torn between my 6 top choices. I'm really struggling to find genuine reviews/analyses of the colleges and personal opinions on which would be best.

I am looking for a college that;
- Is progressive and diverse in culture, has a strong state-private ratio
- Is good for Law
- Has kitchens available to 1st years to self-cater
- Has a community feel
- Good social spaces

My thoughts so far: St Johns, St Edmund Hall, Worcester, Mansfield, Wadham and Balliol.

If you have any ideas/opinions - please let me know! (right now... I think I'm really leaning towards St Johns, but my thoughts keep changing)
Heya - sorry I don't know much about law, so I can't suggest much on that, but bear in mind that you'll have good teaching everywhere! In terms of having a more progressive vibe, Wadham and Mansfield come to mind first for me (though Mansfield is one of the smaller colleges, I think there's about 75 per year). St John's is one of the richest colleges, and I think it does provide some good financial support, but I won't lie that as an institution (i.e. some of the people who run it) it has a slightly more snobby reputation. This isn't to say that all the students are like that, though - that's just my impression.

If you do want to compare the colleges more closely in terms of demographics, the admissions statistics are available here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...ort%202020.pdf (It's a bit of a chunky document, sorry about that!()
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.24%
I need help researching courses (13)
6.37%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.41%
I need help with my personal statement (85)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (51)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.47%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.84%

Watched Threads