The Student Room Group

Moving away for university at 22

Hey guys!

Hope you're all doing well in this current situation.

I turn 22 next summer, and I'm currently studying on an access to HE course and hoping to study Biomedical Science next year. I live just outside of Manchester and it's a city I absolutely adore so a place at MMU would be perfect, this way I'd be able to stay home and close to my loved ones too.

However, I know that it's super important that I have other options too. I'm considering other universities to study at (ones with accreditation from the Institute Of Biomedical Science, I know). I do drive so there's some places I could get to easily enough, but I'm also open to the possibility of moving away too. Sure, when I was 17/18 the thought of moving away for uni was the most exciting thing ever, and I'm still big on new things and adventures. But is 22 a bit too old to be thinking about student accommodation? It sounds so silly. Obviously I wouldn't be going for the mad type of party halls I've heard about and I know there's different options to choose from, but I don't know. I just don't want to apply for somewhere and then end up turning an offer down last minute! What does everyone else think? What would you recommend and would I be completely out of place moving into any type of accom? Did you or your friends share accom (even just a shared kitchen but your own bedroom + en suite) with anybody older? I'm just a bit nervous about it and I need to start applying soon.

Thank you! xo
Original post by bellag0ff
Hey guys!

I turn 22 next summer, and I'm currently studying on an access to HE course and hoping to study Biomedical Science next year. I live just outside of Manchester and it's a city I absolutely adore so a place at MMU would be perfect, this way I'd be able to stay home and close to my loved ones too.

However, I know that it's super important that I have other options too. I'm considering other universities to study at (ones with accreditation from the Institute Of Biomedical Science, I know). I do drive so there's some places I could get to easily enough, but I'm also open to the possibility of moving away too. Sure, when I was 17/18 the thought of moving away for uni was the most exciting thing ever, and I'm still big on new things and adventures. But is 22 a bit too old to be thinking about student accommodation? It sounds so silly. Obviously I wouldn't be going for the mad type of party halls I've heard about and I know there's different options to choose from, but I don't know. I just don't want to apply for somewhere and then end up turning an offer down last minute! What does everyone else think? What would you recommend and would I be completely out of place moving into any type of accom? Did you or your friends share accom (even just a shared kitchen but your own bedroom + en suite) with anybody older? I'm just a bit nervous about it and I need to start applying soon.

Thank you! xo

22 is not too old at all. I had people 25+ in halls. As long as you're a decent person and not a horrible slob, you'll be fine. You might not have an en suite, though. Depends where you go and how much you are willing to pay.
Reply 2
Hey guys!

Thank you! xo

Hello!

22 years old is in no way too old to move into first-year student accommodation!

I'm currently sharing a place with three others in their early 20s, I'm also in my early 20s, and then there are a couple 19 year olds and only one 18 year old. We live in an en-suite place but share the kitchen/common room and enjoy hanging out with each other after dinner.

The age range can be quite varied if you're lucky, and I find that at the very least a lot of uni students tend to start at 19 years old anyway. We mentioned our ages once a little after introducing ourselves and...that's it. No one really cares about age since you're all first years at the end of the day. And you might find that some of the people you share a place with, regardless of age, aren't really interested in parties either.
I’ll be 22 when I go to MMU and I’ll be living in student halls! I’m excited for the partying tbh. I think if that’s not for you maybe avoid but when I contacted MMU for more info they told me that you can see the age and gender of each person in your flat and you can decide on the flat based on that.
Hey guys!

Thank you! xo

Hiya!

I think what's most important is your happiness and it sounds like you are really eager and excited to study at MMU! When it comes to being 22, it really doesn't matter! In my first year I was living with students aged 18-21 and you really can't tell the difference when living or meeting other students who are older. I would recommend having an en suite in first year if you do chose to live in accommodation just because I found it great to have my own independence and own space but I still lived with 8 other people in a flat and we shared the kitchen. With the current situation I think lots of students will have delayed uni this year and will want to go next year so you won't be alone in being slightly older than some of the other students who would have turned 18.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Hey guys!

Thank you! xo

Hi @bellag0ff :hello:,

Totally agree with the other comments above - what matters the most is your happiness and that you are 100% confident in your university choice - we're definitely delighted to hear you want to study at Manchester Met :u:.

With regards to your questions about living in student halls: from my personal experience, before going to uni, I took a gap year so I was in my early 20's when I moved into student accommodation. I shared a flat with 7 students of different ages and coming from different countries, which was a fantastic opportunity to meet new people! However, it is up to you whether you'd want to commute or live in student halls.

If you want to speak with our current students about their experience in student halls at Manchester Met, you can contact them via The Access Platform feature we have available on our website. I am sure they'll be happy to tell you about their experience, so that you can make an informed decision when it comes to it.

I hope this helps :h: If you have any other questions regarding our University, just give us a shout!

Cheers,

Luca
Hey guys!

Thank you! xo

Hi!

No 22 is not old at all!! I had flatmate in my first year who were 20/21 and I know a few people who started university at 22/23!! At university, you don't realise the age difference at all!!

Don't stress! Move into accommodation if you want to! You can always request to be with someone who the same age or something etc.

I'm in halls again this year , and I have a friend who is 23 in my accomidation, and I know two other master stduents in my accomidation!

Good luck!!

Marlena - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 7
Hey guys!

Thank you! xo

In uni owned accommodation my experience is that the majority are first years who are 18 or 19. But in privately owned halls (and there are so many) the age range is much bigger. I'm living in private student accommodation atm and all my flatmates are 21 or 22 (I'm 19). You could even ask about the age range or residents at an accommodation when inquiring.
I don't think 22 is too old at all, i'd say go for it especially if you prefer the uni's that are further away and want to try being more independent. Have you done many (virtual) open days yet? They often have a talk about their accommodation and you can ask questions about living there as a mature student. Some uni's will try and house mature students together too if you can express a preference for that.
Hey guys!

Thank you! xo

Hi there!

I hope you're doing well :smile:

Our Biomedical Science course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science. If you'd like to find out more about our course please click here

Y
ou can also chat to some of our current students directly about the course here or watch this student story here :smile:

I wish you the best of luck with whatever option you decide to take!

Becky
Original post by Elliej94
In uni owned accommodation my experience is that the majority are first years who are 18 or 19. But in privately owned halls (and there are so many) the age range is much bigger. I'm living in private student accommodation atm and all my flatmates are 21 or 22 (I'm 19). You could even ask about the age range or residents at an accommodation when inquiring.

Hi are you at Manchester? What accommodation are you at? :smile: I’m 21 looking at private student accommodation options!
Hey guys!

Thank you! xo

Hey! I’m 21 (turning 22 in December) and am going to be starting a 3 year psychology course in Manchester in September. Also thinking about halls or looking for flatmates as I’m a bit nervous about living with 18 year olds.. feel free to dm me :smile:
Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all well! I have read the thread and thought I could share some insight on accommodation for you!

Mature students are students that are classed over the age of 21. We offer all first-year students guaranteed accommodation in our Halls of residence, if you register before the 5th August. Of course, you are welcome to apply for accommodation as we welcome mature students!

When i began university i stayed in Halls and I was 18, however, there was a mixed bunch in my late with ages ranging between 18 and 23. Some of my friends were in flats with some students who were 25, there is a mixed bag! many students will take gap years or change their mind and decide to go to university later on.

If you want to speak with our current students about their experience in student halls at Manchester Met, you can contact them via The Access Platform feature we have available on our website.

I hope some of this helps! If you have any other in-depth questions regarding the accommodation you can contact the team at [email protected]
Carly :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by anoukcav
Hi are you at Manchester? What accommodation are you at? :smile: I’m 21 looking at private student accommodation options!

Hi I’m 22 also looking at private accommodation in Manchester. Which ones have you been looking at?

Quick Reply

Latest