The Student Room Group

Medicine Personal Statement for Biomed

I decided to apply to 3 Medicine courses and 2 Biomed. I have already written my personal statement on medicine and im not sure if I have to write a whole new one for biomed. People have told me that I don't have to write a whole new personal statement but I think that's is you are applying 4 medicine courses. I don't think my chances of getting into medicine is high due to my prediction so I really don't want to risk it
Reply 1
There's only space for one personal statement. The personal statement you write should heavily focus on why you want to do medicine, but perhaps write a paragraph on research too, so it links to Biomed. Many medicine applicants also apply to Biomed for their backup, so don't worry too much about what to write, focusing on the medicine aspect should be the priority.
If you are applying make sure your PS is solely for medicine
You can e-mail unis and ask if they accept a 2nd PS- some do. Otherwise they use your first one- most people I know got an offer for their back-up with a medicine PS.
They may ask for an additional PS, they may not. The unis won't know what other courses you are applying for, but really you should be maximising your chances for med
Make the entire statement fairly relevant to the industry. Talk about job specific and soft skills too and back up any given in the statement with two or three good examples of real life situations as well. Be honest and stay focused. Include a few sensible reasons as to why you want to study medicine. Leave out any irrelevant facts however. Why don't you weave a few different examples of times that called for a specific life skill like teamwork or oral communication skills in addition? Make sure to type the whole thing up on your laptop in black as it looks much more professional.

Good luck to you. Remember that ultimately your grades are only one small slice of the whole pie. There is far more to medicine than working as a cardiology nurse. Research possible entry routes into the industry carefully and make a set of brief notes.

Get work experience sorted asap. Ideally spend a full single week in a hospital merely shadowing people and observing current best practice. That way, you will be in a wholly better place to make a informed wise choice about whether to enter this fast paced sector or not. Spend some time learning about what to expect.

The national health service is a good place to start your enquiry. Look on there at job roles and then read all requirement information, call or email individual hospitals in your area to gain a better idea of what they will need from prospective candidates. Go from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending