The Student Room Group

Revising for Language GCSEs

I've got mocks coming up for French and Arabic. what are the best things/ways to revise for languages?
Obvious in it - go on tour. In say Algeria you could do both at once. :u:
If its speaking, record yourself asking and answering the questions. Then listen to the recording saying your answers at the same time. Basically you get used to what response comes with which question. (this worked for me)

Listening, listen to videos in arabic/French and see what words you recognise. Write them down and see if you can work out what they're saying.

Reading, basically just read articles and/or books... Things in arabic/French. Again work out of you can translate some of the sentences.

Writing, just do as it says. Write sentences relating to the content you know.

Learning your vocabulary is one of the most important aspects of your languages.
I know my school used to set us weekly vocab tests where we had a list of 20 or so words we had to learn the translations of.
This was a huge benefit for me.

If you don't do this in school, do it yourself at home.
Set yourself a list of useful vocab, and then like back in primary, read them, cover them, say them, write them, then check.
And a day or so later test yourself - how many can you remember?
Hi

Seriously use some blank flashcards.

Buy a set to use from a local bookshop. You can use them for writing down key vocabulary and important definitions too. You can also try testing yourself with them. This is perfect for picture learners. Remember that colour coding, mind maps and other visual aids are your best friend now. Keep all notes short and to the point. Take a few black and white photos of your notes in addition on your phone. Draw things.

Also get a tape recorder as well. You can record whole lessons on it and this is a good idea if you have severe dyslexia or are a auditory learner. Then you can repeat parts of the lesson out loud to check that you understand everything. Or ask yourself some questions to test your understanding. Another tried and tested way to remember key information is through the use of other effective techniques like songs and jingles to aid recall. Try doing voice overs of lead characters from the movies that you see in class.

Watch old foreign films and make up detailed summary notes. Create a few different role play situations involving some of the characters. Recite two or three lines from the movie in the accent of one of the actors in lessons. Act out a couple of scenes in drama class or in your room out loud in order to memorise the words and lines. Try reading the book in a foreign voice. Good luck! I hope that this is useful. Have lively entertaining educational discussions about the film.

One more good tip for visual learners is to sketch out various characters appearing in the movie. Produce a visual diagram, timeline or report on the important significant events of the movie. Also have a series of pictures of important film locations. Annotate them. Find a way to draw as much as possible. When doing your coursework, colour code notes.
Original post by b3th4ny_xxx
If its speaking, record yourself asking and answering the questions. Then listen to the recording saying your answers at the same time. Basically you get used to what response comes with which question. (this worked for me)

Listening, listen to videos in arabic/French and see what words you recognise. Write them down and see if you can work out what they're saying.

Reading, basically just read articles and/or books... Things in arabic/French. Again work out of you can translate some of the sentences.

Writing, just do as it says. Write sentences relating to the content you know.

Learning your vocabulary is one of the most important aspects of your languages.
I know my school used to set us weekly vocab tests where we had a list of 20 or so words we had to learn the translations of.
This was a huge benefit for me.

If you don't do this in school, do it yourself at home.
Set yourself a list of useful vocab, and then like back in primary, read them, cover them, say them, write them, then check.
And a day or so later test yourself - how many can you remember?

Thanks for the great advice!!
Original post by shortgirl96
Hi

Seriously use some blank flashcards.

Buy a set to use from a local bookshop. You can use them for writing down key vocabulary and important definitions too. You can also try testing yourself with them. This is perfect for picture learners. Remember that colour coding, mind maps and other visual aids are your best friend now. Keep all notes short and to the point. Take a few black and white photos of your notes in addition on your phone. Draw things.

Also get a tape recorder as well. You can record whole lessons on it and this is a good idea if you have severe dyslexia or are a auditory learner. Then you can repeat parts of the lesson out loud to check that you understand everything. Or ask yourself some questions to test your understanding. Another tried and tested way to remember key information is through the use of other effective techniques like songs and jingles to aid recall. Try doing voice overs of lead characters from the movies that you see in class.

Watch old foreign films and make up detailed summary notes. Create a few different role play situations involving some of the characters. Recite two or three lines from the movie in the accent of one of the actors in lessons. Act out a couple of scenes in drama class or in your room out loud in order to memorise the words and lines. Try reading the book in a foreign voice. Good luck! I hope that this is useful. Have lively entertaining educational discussions about the film.

One more good tip for visual learners is to sketch out various characters appearing in the movie. Produce a visual diagram, timeline or report on the important significant events of the movie. Also have a series of pictures of important film locations. Annotate them. Find a way to draw as much as possible. When doing your coursework, colour code notes.

Thank you so much. I agree, vocab is key to all aspects of the gcse.

Quick Reply

Latest