Do I need to do maths for physics A level?

Watch
elscha_bandito
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m not really sure what I want to do with my life but definitely something science based and I’m best at physics and chemistry so I was thinking to pick physics, chemistry and psychology for A levels. Do I need to do maths as well to do physics? And is having three science based subjects too much? Another option for me is French or English lit probably.
aberry541
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m not sure about your school, but in mine it’s completely fine to do Physics without Maths. My friend does Chem, Bio, Physics and Sociology
aberry541
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
However if you want to do something Physics based as a career, Maths would certainly help. I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Business at As and Maths really helped me with my Physics
15Characters...
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The maths required for A Level physics is fairly basic, mostly GCSE and any extra (e.g. logs) will probably be taught to you or could be easily self-studied. Whether your school has any other restrictions is a different matter, but I doubt it's a problem.

However not taking maths will likely restrict the range of courses and universities you can apply to later. Maths is frequently an essential entrance requirement for physics and engineering courses, and you will find that any physics heavy university course will also be quite mathematical so having no A Level would make it harder for you. Don't let the relatively low-maths A Level physics course confuse you - university physics is maths heavy!
rehena12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Physics is one of those subjects that come in twos and that's with maths, most people take maths and if you don't you WILL fall behind don't take it I'm less you want to go into physics because at the end of the day people that take the level usually want to go into something physics-related and need to do maths anyways
Ivanov2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 15Characters...)
The maths required for A Level physics is fairly basic, mostly GCSE and any extra (e.g. logs) will probably be taught to you or could be easily self-studied. Whether your school has any other restrictions is a different matter, but I doubt it's a problem.

However not taking maths will likely restrict the range of courses and universities you can apply to later. Maths is frequently an essential entrance requirement for physics and engineering courses, and you will find that any physics heavy university course will also be quite mathematical so having no A Level would make it harder for you. Don't let the relatively low-maths A Level physics course confuse you - university physics is maths heavy!
Very true, I have maths degree from years ago and recently took a physics degree. The latter required maths I had never seen before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads