Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi TSR,

My personal statement is due very soon (internal deadline) and I am struggling as to what I should pick as part the second last paragraph.

I have spoken about the academic side although I merged with the extra curricular work (not a lot). The problem is I don't know what I should talk about either :

Building a pc
Volunteering at a charity
OR me giving a talk at an established place (I got lucky)

BTW I was applying for a Comp Sci course & I have about a sentence's worth of space left.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by Parziva1; 1 month ago
MrRazor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Parziva1)
Hi TSR,

My personal statement is due very soon (internal deadline) and I am struggling as to what I should pick as part the second last paragraph.

I have spoken about the academic side although I merged with the extra curricular work (not a lot). The problem is I don't know what I should talk about either :

Building a pc
Volunteering at a charity
OR me giving a talk at an established place (I got lucky)

BTW I was applying for a Comp Sci course & I have about a sentence's worth of space left.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
I feel as if building a pc can be over-done with Comp Sci applicants, however giving a talk sounds interesting or even the volunteering. Shows you're more than just a student but an active citizen, they love that stuff.

Also, what universities are you applying to?
shortgirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What universities are you applying to? Talk about your skills and hobbies, the stuff that shows that you are a natural well rounded person. Mention any skills which you gained from volunteering too on your personal statement it will likely set you up for success. Include some personal information about yourself as well but do avoid rambling or irrelevant tidbits however. Provide examples to prove that you have used important life skills like teamwork and communication. You could even talk about what you learned from building a computer, just describe the process and explain what you got out of it. Use bullet points or numbers for ease and type up your whole statement in black only. It will be easier to read. Life experiences count as well.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrRazor)
I feel as if building a pc can be over-done with Comp Sci applicants, however giving a talk sounds interesting or even the volunteering. Shows you're more than just a student but an active citizen, they love that stuff.
Thank you for your help
I was applying to a few Russel group universities (ambitious )
Last edited by Parziva1; 1 month ago
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by shortgirl96)
What universities are you applying to? Talk about your skills and hobbies, the stuff that shows that you are a natural well rounded person. Mention any skills which you gained from volunteering too on your personal statement it will likely set you up for success. Include some personal information about yourself as well but do avoid rambling or irrelevant tidbits however. Provide examples to prove that you have used important life skills like teamwork and communication. You could even talk about what you learned from building a computer, just describe the process and explain what you got out of it. Use bullet points or numbers for ease and type up your whole statement in black only. It will be easier to read. Life experiences count as well.
Cheers for the advice, on how to link this with the rest of my statement
Btw, I was applying to a few Russel group universities (ambitious )
shortgirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No problem and good luck.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by shortgirl96)
No problem and good luck.
+1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (678)
33.7%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (857)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.18%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.52%

Watched Threads