user1234511
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m interested in reading classics at uni however I only took class civ, geography and biology at a level, oxford say Latin/ Greek aren’t required and you can apply without having learnt them. Is there a smaller quota for these groups (learning the languages whilst you’re there), I also did have the opportunity to learn Latin at gcse and a level but I didn’t choose it at gcse so that Avenue is closed for me now.

Also if I were to apply for a liberal arts degree at other unis (within that I would take classics and something else) would oxford look upon this badly as opposed to applying for straight classics?
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user1234511)
I’m interested in reading classics at uni however I only took class civ, geography and biology at a level, oxford say Latin/ Greek aren’t required and you can apply without having learnt them. Is there a smaller quota for these groups (learning the languages whilst you’re there), I also did have the opportunity to learn Latin at gcse and a level but I didn’t choose it at gcse so that Avenue is closed for me now.

Also if I were to apply for a liberal arts degree at other unis (within that I would take classics and something else) would oxford look upon this badly as opposed to applying for straight classics?
Universities can't see which other universities or courses you're applying to via UCAS, so as long as your personal statement is relevant to both courses, you should be fine! The only problem is that, if you're applying for another course that isn't classics, large parts of the statement may be irrelevant to Oxford.

If you haven't studied the languages at A level or GCSE, how can you be sure that you'd enjoy them at university? I know a few people who are reading Classics at Oxbridge, and all of them did both Latin and Greek at GCSE and A level - so I don't know anything about learning the language there. You'd have to demonstrate genuine interest.

Would you have the time to start studying the A levels before you apply, or before you would start uni?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (491)
33.42%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (610)
41.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (300)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.63%

Watched Threads