cj104
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
We basically need to find lim x → −3 f(x), lim x → −3+ f(x) and lim x → −3 f(x).
Initially, I thought the answer would be 4 for all three but then again at this point there is a 'corner' which would mean the RHS and LHS don't match (& therefore the normal limit doesn't exist...?)
So if the side limits are not equal to 4 I don't understand how we can use the graph to find them. I thought of the left one being 0 and the right one being 1 but aren't they 'too far'?
Name:  Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 11.49.39 AM.png
Views: 7
Size:  25.4 KB
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cj104)
We basically need to find lim x → −3 f(x), lim x → −3+ f(x) and lim x → −3 f(x).
Initially, I thought the answer would be 4 for all three but then again at this point there is a 'corner' which would mean the RHS and LHS don't match (& therefore the normal limit doesn't exist...?)
So if the side limits are not equal to 4 I don't understand how we can use the graph to find them. I thought of the left one being 0 and the right one being 1 but aren't they 'too far'?
Name:  Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 11.49.39 AM.png
Views: 7
Size:  25.4 KB
The limit exists, and you are correct with 4.

Due to the corner, what doesn't exist is the gradient (derivative!), since it's clearly different depending on which side you approach -3 from.
cj104
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
The limit exists, and you are correct with 4.

Due to the corner, what doesn't exist is the gradient (derivative!), since it's clearly different depending on which side you approach -3 from.
Looking at my notes, you're right about differentiability not existing when there is a corner. However, it also says we test this by finding that the side limits do not match. This isn't the case here if they're both equal to 4?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cj104)
Looking at my notes, you're right about differentiability not existing when there is a corner. However, it also says we test this by finding that the side limits do not match. This isn't the case here if they're both equal to 4?
You are getting confused.

What you have in your question is finding \displaystyle \lim_{x \to -3} f(x) which is indeed 4.

What you seem to be confusing it with is the differentiability, which requires finding

f'(-3) = \displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{f(-3+h) - f(-3)}{h}

... and it is *this* limit that does not exist because it is different depending on whether you approach -3 from left or right sides.
cj104
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
You are getting confused.

What you have in your question is finding \displaystyle \lim_{x \to -3} f(x) which is indeed 4.

What you seem to be confusing it with is the differentiability, which requires finding

f'(-3) = \displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{f(-3+h) - f(-3)}{h}

... and it is *this* limit that does not exist because it is different depending on whether you approach -3 from left or right sides.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.44%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.42%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.63%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.52%

Watched Threads