The Student Room Group

How important is a personal statement?

Is it really as important as people let on?
It's the main and often only way that unis can get a sense of your "vibe", of how you talk, what you prioritise and what you find interesting. That's pretty impactful when otherwise they only look at everyone's grades and references which can all be very generic and hard to tell candidates apart from. Use your personal statement to show yourself off!
Thank you for the reply! So, it plays a pretty big factor in giving offers? I have a 21 days left to make it better, do you think that's enough time?
Original post by ninja24
Thank you for the reply! So, it plays a pretty big factor in giving offers? I have a 21 days left to make it better, do you think that's enough time?

More than enough time!
The best advice I can give is to try and create some sort of coherent narrative - explain what you have done that shows your interest in your subject, and link everything back to why you want to study it at uni.
Reply 4
Original post by ninja24

I think this is one of those 'it depends...' questions. More competitive universities might consider it very highly on their criteria, some might just use it to differentiate between academically similar candidates. Also it could be used to make up for parts of your application that are less strong.

Also 21 days is ages, if you use the time well, especially considering you are just refining it and not writing it from scratch. I would look at people going through their personal statements on YT for your unis and subject, and compare them to yours. There are also loads of websites and articles with university and subject-specific help on writing personal statements and example statements.
Original post by Ray3RE
I think this is one of those 'it depends...' questions. More competitive universities might consider it very highly on their criteria, some might just use it to differentiate between academically similar candidates. Also it could be used to make up for parts of your application that are less strong.

Also 21 days is ages, if you use the time well, especially considering you are just refining it and not writing it from scratch. I would look at people going through their personal statements on YT for your unis and subject, and compare them to yours. There are also loads of websites and articles with university and subject-specific help on writing personal statements and example statements.

Yes you're right, I'll do that today. Also, I want to do computer science as a degree
Original post by hw8
More than enough time!
The best advice I can give is to try and create some sort of coherent narrative - explain what you have done that shows your interest in your subject, and link everything back to why you want to study it at uni.

Thank you! At the moment it's the start and end that really is a struggle. Hopefully I can pull through though :smile:
Original post by ninja24

That's completely fine, time-wise. I started mine on the Monday and had sent my application off that same Friday - do a bit of research, consider what you've done that can show a passion for your subject and then get parents/teachers to check it over too, particularly people like a form tutor or head of sixth form. Good luck and don't put much pressure on yourself - it might be important, but it's still not the be-all and end-all!
Remember that the PS can also be used to decide whether to give you an offer if you are a near-miss candidate on results day. It isn't just helpful at the application stage
Original post by Interrobang
Remember that the PS can also be used to decide whether to give you an offer if you are a near-miss candidate on results day. It isn't just helpful at the application stage

really? how so?
Original post by OCorOOC6337
That's completely fine, time-wise. I started mine on the Monday and had sent my application off that same Friday - do a bit of research, consider what you've done that can show a passion for your subject and then get parents/teachers to check it over too, particularly people like a form tutor or head of sixth form. Good luck and don't put much pressure on yourself - it might be important, but it's still not the be-all and end-all!

Ooo what course did you apply for?
Original post by ninja24
really? how so?

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer, the uni can decide whether to accept you anyway. They are likely to look at your PS and reference again to help them make that decision.
Original post by ninja24

Yes, really important. Make it the best you can to maximise your chances of getting in.
Original post by ninja24
Ooo what course did you apply for?

Geography at Cambridge, Bristol and Exeter along with Geo w/ Quantative Research Methods at Bristol and Urban Development and Planning at Cardiff. It was the only subject that I love and I did an online summer school for it, so hopefully I'll be making a good choice! ^^'
Hello

Yes a personal statement is crucial. Be honest and do not sell yourself short either. Include details on hobbies, skills etc to show them that you are a well rounded person. A personal statement will be used by the university admission officers to find out a bit more about you and what sort of person that you are as well. So yes I would personally advise you to prepare one bearing that in mind constantly too. Omit any irrelevant details from the personal statement however. Good luck to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending