The Student Room Group

2 languages at A level: yay or nay?

I actually remember doing this thread a year or so ago, except for GCSE.

Hello everybody,
I currently study French and Spanish, and I'm trying to pick my A level options. I love languages, but I also love English Literature. My question is: would it be better to take 2 languages or 1 language and English Literature?

Some context: I started Spanish in Year 10, and then Covid happened so I self-studied quite a lot. I'm aware that the jump for any A level from GCSE is quite large, but I'm motivated and prepared to work hard.

Thank you for your time.
~ Roses
Reply 1
do you have an idea of what you'd like to do after a levels?
Original post by macy_m
do you have an idea of what you'd like to do after a levels?

A mixed idea, but nothing definite :nah:
Reply 3
Original post by Roses & Dreams
I actually remember doing this thread a year or so ago, except for GCSE.

Hello everybody,
I currently study French and Spanish, and I'm trying to pick my A level options. I love languages, but I also love English Literature. My question is: would it be better to take 2 languages or 1 language and English Literature?

Some context: I started Spanish in Year 10, and then Covid happened so I self-studied quite a lot. I'm aware that the jump for any A level from GCSE is quite large, but I'm motivated and prepared to work hard.

Thank you for your time.
~ Roses

I do both Spanish and English Lit haha and one lang A-Level is very much bearable, sidenote but don't worry about the jump from GCSE to A-Level, it's not as bad as it seems! Anyways, I'd say doing 2 languages would be best if you are fluent/advanced in at least one of the languages. A language is something you have to continue to revise over the year, as long as you are willing to commit to studying for both then go for it! But be aware that it is a lot of work both inside and outside of school so take that into consideration.
Original post by trbx
I do both Spanish and English Lit haha and one lang A-Level is very much bearable, sidenote but don't worry about the jump from GCSE to A-Level, it's not as bad as it seems! Anyways, I'd say doing 2 languages would be best if you are fluent/advanced in at least one of the languages. A language is something you have to continue to revise over the year, as long as you are willing to commit to studying for both then go for it! But be aware that it is a lot of work both inside and outside of school so take that into consideration.

Thank you!
How do you find English Literature, out of interest?
Bump.
I guess my question mainly is- would it be better to take one language and English Lit or 2 languages?
Reply 6
Original post by Roses & Dreams
Thank you!
How do you find English Literature, out of interest?

English Literature is super super interesting honestly. Coming from a person who wasn’t really that interested in the subject, I’d say it was my best choice out of all my A Level choices that I made in year 12. It depends on your school but the books we are studying are super interesting and link to sociology and really gets you thinking in ways it didn’t at GCSE. The only thing I hate is the essays tbh there are times where it takes me 5hrs to write one essay looool it’s tough, regardless it’s defo worth it so don’t be discouraged by the readings or essays.
I did both French and Spanish at A-level and I loved it and found that they both really complimented each other. Going from GCSE languages to A-level is quite a step up but if you genuinely enjoy studying them then it shouldn't be too daunting.

My advice would be to just do the subjects you enjoy. Spanish, French and English Literature would be a good combination and you're much more likely to do well in subjects that you actually like rather than subjects you chose just because you thought it would ''look good'' or whatever.

Good luck with your decisions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending