Student Oyster card and 16-25 railcard HELP

Watch
BurgerTitan00
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi,

What is the best option to go for in terms of student railcards and student oysters?
Do I purchase a 16-25 railcard and attach it to a pay as you go oyster?
Or should I purchase both a student oyster and 16-25 railcard
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
On its own, the student Oyster gets you 30% off travelcards for London Underground, making it the best option if you are regularly commuting. Having a travelcard on your oyster card also gets you free bus travel everywhere in London no matter what zone.

If you have both an 18+ student oyster card (with your photo and name) and a 16-25 railcard, then you can get 34% off off-peak PAYG tube fares in addition to all that.

So go for the second option.
BurgerTitan00
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I will only be in London for 10 days what is purchasing a travel card the best option still?
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Travel arcs only really break even if you are using them 20+ days a month.
And making more than just a single journey to/from each day (ie bus plus tube each way)
I got one which with 30% off, using zone 1-3 4 days a week just about worked out better than payg (as i could have taken a not via zone 1 route which was a bit longer)
10 days a month and it makes no sense.
Just get the railcard off you can use that for student travel (not valid before 10am),
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads