birights
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
okay so i'm thinking of getting a laptop of my own as i'm sharing with my mum atm and its pretty slow now. if anybody can give me some laptop recommendations i would really appreciate it :-)
it would mainly just be used for school (and uni when i go next year) work so i just need word and google etc. i might do some gaming on it too but it wouldn't be that often.

i've had a look at the HP 14s-dq1508sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 256 GB SSD, i think i might get this so if anyone can give me opinions on this or other laptops i should consider that would be great!

my budget would probably be £500 !
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by birights)
okay so i'm thinking of getting a laptop of my own as i'm sharing with my mum atm and its pretty slow now. if anybody can give me some laptop recommendations i would really appreciate it :-)
it would mainly just be used for school (and uni when i go next year) work so i just need word and google etc. i might do some gaming on it too but it wouldn't be that often.

i've had a look at the HP 14s-dq1508sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 256 GB SSD, i think i might get this so if anyone can give me opinions on this or other laptops i should consider that would be great!

For £500 you want to be looking for an i5 or Ryzen 5 processor, ideally the latter for the graphics power needed to at least attempt gaming. It's still not going to be great for a laptop bought for that purpose, even if it's only going to be occasional. For that you'd want to move up to £600-£650 to get something with an entry level GPU like the GTX 1650, which will an extremely substantial jump over integrated graphics.
birights
Rep:
?
okay thank you! would the HP laptop i stated before be good if it was purely used just for studying and work?
username612415
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
okay thank you! would the HP laptop i stated before be good if it was purely used just for studying and work?
No, like I said you should be getting an i5 or Ryzen 5 for £500, that would be steep for an i3 based machine.
username612415
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
This HP is an excellent deal;

https://www.box.co.uk/1E6Z9EAABU-HP-...a_2956544.html
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

avoid HPs like the plague. you can get much better Lenovo laptops. Ryzen 3 4000 is absolutely fine. you will get more bang for your buck with Ryzen, but i3 and i5 is fine as well.

for gaming i'd go with a high-end laptop that you can't get for 500
birights
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
avoid HPs like the plague. you can get much better Lenovo laptops. Ryzen 3 4000 is absolutely fine. you will get more bang for your buck with Ryzen, but i3 and i5 is fine as well.

for gaming i'd go with a high-end laptop that you can't get for 500
i see, why is the HP so bad though? i did have a look at the LENOVO IdeaPad 5 14" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 3, 128 GB SSD. is this one any good?
Archi-Willow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You can't go wrong with HP or Acer.
birights
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlpineA110)
I’d recommend getting no laptop and buy a car instead
lmaoo well i'll need to start driving lessons first of all!
birights
Rep:
?
(Original post by Archi-Willow)
that's what i thought and most reviews for HP seem positive! thanks :-)
AlpineA110
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Spend the £500 on driving lessons and just buy one of them amazon fire tablets for like £70
AlpineA110
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Or get a Tesla with a tablet in it
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Archi-Willow)
Well, you can. Because brand is not the defining factor for whether a laptop is good or not. Just like any other brand, there are plenty of cheap, horrible HP and Acer laptops available.
Archi-Willow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AcseI)
Well, you can. Because brand is not the defining factor for whether a laptop is good or not. Just like any other brand, there are plenty of cheap, horrible HP and Acer laptops available.
The same could be said for Apple and Dell, you have a salient point. I suppose all laptops have their faults, just like anything else in life. Technology is a pain in the backside, but where would mankind be without it?
birights
Rep:
?
Spend the £500 on driving lessons and just buy one of them amazon fire tablets for like £70
Or get a Tesla with a tablet in it
ah yes! i'll just go and pay about 30 grand more than i need to on a car rather than a laptop.. what a good idea... haha
username5383500
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

So as Gofre points out, you won't get anything gaming capable at this price point. £500-600 is the sweet spot as far as decent everyday use laptops go, but for gaming you'll want a dedicated GPU and that'll add a fair chunk to the price. And introduces all the downsides of owning a gaming laptop for everyday use. It does depend what sort of games you want to play though, as some lightweight games will be playable on integrated graphics. That said I still wouldn't recommend it, as it gives you absolutely no growing room to play more demanding titles.

The £500 laptop Gofre linked is a really solid pick, and about the best you'll get at this price point. That said, if you're coping alright now I'd be inclined to say wait. Share with your mum for the rest of the year, save up a bit more and get a better laptop for uni. The laptop Gofre linked would likely be fine for your degree (assuming you're not doing a demanding course) but if you wanted to dabble in gaming a bit you wouldn't get very far. Not to mention COVID has had a huge impact on pricing and availability, so your options are likely to be better if you wait for 6-9 months.

There's a lot of talk about brand, so I'll emphasise again: Don't pick a laptop based on brand. It has absolutely zero impact on what you'll get. Choose based on the hardware and the price, not the name attached to it.
birights
Rep:
?
i've never seen/heard of this website before, i usually go for curry's aha. but i don't think they have the laptop you said there :/ so if i was to buy this laptop should i purchase it from the link u sent?

(Original post by AcseI)
So as Gofre points out, you won't get anything gaming capable at this price point. £500-600 is the sweet spot as far as decent everyday use laptops go, but for gaming you'll want a dedicated GPU and that'll add a fair chunk to the price. And introduces all the downsides of owning a gaming laptop for everyday use. It does depend what sort of games you want to play though, as some lightweight games will be playable on integrated graphics. That said I still wouldn't recommend it, as it gives you absolutely no growing room to play more demanding titles.

The £500 laptop Gofre linked is a really solid pick, and about the best you'll get at this price point. That said, if you're coping alright now I'd be inclined to say wait. Share with your mum for the rest of the year, save up a bit more and get a better laptop for uni. The laptop Gofre linked would likely be fine for your degree (assuming you're not doing a demanding course) but if you wanted to dabble in gaming a bit you wouldn't get very far. Not to mention COVID has had a huge impact on pricing and availability, so your options are likely to be better if you wait for 6-9 months.

There's a lot of talk about brand, so I'll emphasise again: Don't pick a laptop based on brand. It has absolutely zero impact on what you'll get. Choose based on the hardware and the price, not the name attached to it.
hmm yeah, i would prefer to get a laptop pretty soon because it's battery life has gone down massively i've found and it's gotten quite slow now but i'll see.

would either of you recommend ryzen or intel core as a processor btw? or do both work well?

thank you both!! :-)
username612415
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i've never seen/heard of this website before, i usually go for curry's aha. but i don't think they have the laptop you said there :/ so if i was to buy this laptop should i purchase it from the link u sent?
Box are a longstanding and very reputable online seller, I have personally bought two laptops from them and have been recommending them from TSR for most of the last decade, with nobody letting me know of any issues. You can buy from them with confidence.

would either of you recommend ryzen or intel core as a processor btw? or do both work well?
For the basic tasks you want to do, the difference between a modern i5 and r5 processor will be fairly minimal. Both are great.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
that's what i thought and most reviews for HP seem positive! thanks :-)
they're just not as good value or as good made as Lenovo's, the reason they are so popular is price but now lenovo have undercut them. something like this is amazing https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8180795 or if you don't like the colour https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...07944-pdt.html
username5383500
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hmm yeah, i would prefer to get a laptop pretty soon because it's battery life has gone down massively i've found and it's gotten quite slow now but i'll see.

thank you both!! :-)
That's fair, and in that scenario the laptop Gofre has recommended is an excellent choice. It's really difficult to find laptops similar to the one he linked right now, so if you're after something I'd grab that while it's available. It won't be good for gaming, but it'll probably get you through your degree just fine.

As far as AMD vs Intel, either is fine. What matters more is the type of processor rather than which company it comes from. An AMD Ryzen 5 and an Intel i5 are going to perform similarly in everyday tasks, and that's what you'd be getting at this price point. There's no reason to look at Ryzen 3 or i3 processors when you've got a £500 budget, as they'll perform noticeably worse. But in terms of what you go for, it doesn't matter if you go with AMD or Intel as there is no significant difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
5.98%
Uncertainty around my education (26)
11.11%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (27)
11.54%
Lack of purpose or motivation (35)
14.96%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (14)
5.98%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
2.99%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (21)
8.97%
Financial worries (15)
6.41%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
2.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
6.84%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (29)
12.39%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (17)
7.26%

Watched Threads