Is physics helpful for admission to a maths degree?

Watch
apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Would physics put you at an advantage if you were applying for maths at Oxford? It isn't listed as 'recommended' or even 'helpful' but since quite a few of the modules link in with physics would it make me more competitive to have taken physics at A-level?
Dancer2001
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you had maths and further maths I wouldn’t say it makes you ‘more competitive’, but it might help you if you choose to take mechanics modules.
apolaroidofus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
If you had maths and further maths I wouldn’t say it makes you ‘more competitive’, but it might help you if you choose to take mechanics modules.
So I wouldn't be putting myself at a disadvantage if I were to take Spanish instead (in terms of admissions)?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maths at uni is so abstract and theoretical that I can't imagine it would be helpful, and this is backed up by Oxford's recommendation.

If they aren't listing it as helpful, I would believe them. They have no reason to trick you.

If you're interested in mechanics and real world application of maths, I'd consider doing physics at uni not maths.
Dancer2001
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
So I wouldn't be putting myself at a disadvantage if I were to take Spanish instead (in terms of admissions)?
Yes, Maths, further maths, and any other subject is a perfectly acceptable combination for maths at any university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads