The Student Room Group

Advice on Access Course for a mature student!

I am looking for some advice on the best route to take to the midwifery course. I am 35 with a young family and about to have a complete career change (scary!)

My local college offers an access to health course which I could do on an evening, just wondering if this is the best course of if there is another more suitable? Is anyone in a similar situation or can offer any advice?

Thank you! 🙂
Access to Midwifery would be the closest and easiest and you’d cover some material in your first year with that course however Access to Science L3 and Access to Health should be sufficient enough. Most education establishments say that if there is evidence of interest in that particular field then that is sufficient enough.
Access to health is perfect at your local college, you will also need a GCSE C grade in English Language and Maths. Check with universities for specific requirements. Midwifery is very competitive so make sure you have PLENTY of experience to put you above the rest.
Reply 3
Original post by Alex_sfari
Access to Midwifery would be the closest and easiest and you’d cover some material in your first year with that course however Access to Science L3 and Access to Health should be sufficient enough. Most education establishments say that if there is evidence of interest in that particular field then that is sufficient enough.

Original post by Spannah89
Access to health is perfect at your local college, you will also need a GCSE C grade in English Language and Maths. Check with universities for specific requirements. Midwifery is very competitive so make sure you have PLENTY of experience to put you above the rest.

Thank you thats really helpful! This might sound like a silly question but what is the best way to get experience? Does anything in particular stand out when it comes to experience?
Original post by Danielle86
Thank you thats really helpful! This might sound like a silly question but what is the best way to get experience? Does anything in particular stand out when it comes to experience?

See if you have any maternity assistant's at your local hospital, have a look at being a doula, have a look at volunteering with SANDS the charity and do any courses that deal with baby loss, etc.
I am looking for some advice on the best route to take to the midwifery course. I am 35 with a young family and about to have a complete career change (scary!)

My local college offers an access to health course which I could do on an evening, just wondering if this is the best course of if there is another more suitable? Is anyone in a similar situation or can offer any advice?

Thank you! 🙂

Hi @Danielle86

I teach on an Access to HE Nursing pathway so I can give you some advice. Most Access programs are a joint Access to HE Nursing & Midwifery pathway, and contain modules in Human Biology, Health Science, and Health Studies (some have an option of Psychology instead of the latter). Some colleges will let you onto the Access program without GCSE's in english, maths, and science, however for midwifery all 3 are required at level C / 4 or above to progress into this area at University. Some colleges will let you do one alongside the course but it is better to do them first. The benefit of an access course is it is one year, and also if you take out and advanced learner loan (which you will currently need to being 24+) then the loan is written off when you get your degree. NOTE: the government is to announce a change to Level 3 funding in the autumn term which could mean you get the course for free - keep an eye out for a White Paper released the Ed secretary Gavin Williamson

As a heads up, I can recommend the Naidoo and Wills textbook "health studies" which would really help

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by Arden University
Hi @Danielle86

I teach on an Access to HE Nursing pathway so I can give you some advice. Most Access programs are a joint Access to HE Nursing & Midwifery pathway, and contain modules in Human Biology, Health Science, and Health Studies (some have an option of Psychology instead of the latter). Some colleges will let you onto the Access program without GCSE's in english, maths, and science, however for midwifery all 3 are required at level C / 4 or above to progress into this area at University. Some colleges will let you do one alongside the course but it is better to do them first. The benefit of an access course is it is one year, and also if you take out and advanced learner loan (which you will currently need to being 24+) then the loan is written off when you get your degree. NOTE: the government is to announce a change to Level 3 funding in the autumn term which could mean you get the course for free - keep an eye out for a White Paper released the Ed secretary Gavin Williamson

As a heads up, I can recommend the Naidoo and Wills textbook "health studies" which would really help

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thank you so much, thats all really helpful! I think I will need to redo my science GCSE, every other GCSE I have a grade A-C, but science was a D, and never thought to redo it when I started a career in finance!
I wasn't sure if the access course would redeem this or cover part of it, but I will look into redoing it now.
Thank you for your help!
Reply 7

Thank you! 🙂

Hi Danielle86,
Just came across your post, I'm very new to all this. Just wondering if you signed up for the HE access in midwifery course? Your situation sounds quite similar to mine x
Reply 8
Original post by Mrsg20
Hi Danielle86,
Just came across your post, I'm very new to all this. Just wondering if you signed up for the HE access in midwifery course? Your situation sounds quite similar to mine x

Hello!
I have a place to start access to Health in September. There aren't any colleges close to me which do access to midwifery when I've looked, so to do that one would be around an hours drive or to do it online. With not studying for a long time I would rather have the support of going to classes so hoping Health will be just as good 🤞 Have you applied to any colleges yet? It's scary starting again isn't it X
Reply 9
Hello!
I have a place to start access to Health in September. There aren't any colleges close to me which do access to midwifery when I've looked, so to do that one would be around an hours drive or to do it online. With not studying for a long time I would rather have the support of going to classes so hoping Health will be just as good 🤞 Have you applied to any colleges yet? It's scary starting again isn't it X

I am from N.I and there are no colleges that offer the midwifery course, I also work full time so unfortunately the online course is my only option. I def would prefer a classroom if it was available for the support more than anything..just researching the online courses as much as possible and it's crazy how one bad comment can put so much doubt in your head. Best of luck with your course for Sept xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending