Mentioning essay competition in personal statement

Watch
nidgethesquidge
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel like I've royally screwed up in my Personal statement - which I've already sent off! I participated in an essay competition and got a 'partial scholarship' to the programme the organisers hold, but it was way too expensive so I'm not taking it up and it seemed like one of those prizes they give away to the majority of entrants - but thats kinda off topic . The thing is that I talked about the essay I wrote in my PS for a couple of sentences, but I didn't even name the competition or explicitly say what I got, all I said was that I "received recognition" for it and now I think I've been way too vague but my teachers never said anything!
Is it worth it emailing the universities I've applied for to clarify exactly what I got and which competition, or does that look unprofessional, considering its too late to amend my statement on UCAS?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has your referee mentioned the specific competition?

Although regardless of the answer, the admissions tutors probably won't pay too much attention
nidgethesquidge
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
Has your referee mentioned the specific competition?

Although regardless of the answer, the admissions tutors probably won't pay too much attention
No, unfortunately i dont think so. I'm hoping it won't matter too much, but I'm so worried the oxbridge/russell group admissions tutors will pick up on it, so I'm wondering if emailing is necessary...
ScienceApply_22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I may ask is it the Immerse Education Essay Competition?
nidgethesquidge
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ScienceApply_22)
If I may ask is it the Immerse Education Essay Competition?
haha yh it is
ScienceApply_22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nidgethesquidge)
haha yh it is
Haha I knew it. I got 30% for engineering. Hbu? I'm guessing you applied to Oxbridge due to sending your PS off so early?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Talk about what the experience was like for you personally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (660)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (839)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads