How do I go about changing my university and course during a gap year?

Watch
Alnoo124
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
So I think I've gotten myself into a bit of a mess. I have a confirmed place at university to study Ecology from September 2021 and am on a gap year currently. Over the last few weeks though, I've had a weird change of heart and now I want to study Biomedical Science. The Biomedical science course isn't really suitable at the university where I hold a place though, so I'll have to move universities as well. I have grades A,B,C and every uni I've looked at wants A,B,B to study biomedical science. I'm lucky to have a place at my current university, as it's a top UK university, and I dont really want to be released from my place there with the possibility of being rejected from every other uni I reapply to if I go ahead and apply to study Biomedical science. Has anyone get any advice?
Thank you in advance
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Alnoo124)
So I think I've gotten myself into a bit of a mess. I have a confirmed place at university to study Ecology from September 2021 and am on a gap year currently. Over the last few weeks though, I've had a weird change of heart and now I want to study Biomedical Science. The Biomedical science course isn't really suitable at the university where I hold a place though, so I'll have to move universities as well. I have grades A,B,C and every uni I've looked at wants A,B,B to study biomedical science. I'm lucky to have a place at my current university, as it's a top UK university, and I dont really want to be released from my place there with the possibility of being rejected from every other uni I reapply to if I go ahead and apply to study Biomedical science. Has anyone get any advice?
Thank you in advance
From the UCAS website:

If you decided to apply in 2020 for deferred entry and were successful, you can still reapply in 2021 without withdrawing your deferred place.

If you choose to do this, we will be in touch in early 2021 to check which application you would like to continue with.

Please note: This is only for applicants who are holding a deferred place due to start in 2021.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...deferred-entry
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you decide to switch to a Biomed course at the same Uni its fairly simple, you dont even need to contact UCAS.
Just email/phone the Uni Admissions Office and ask if its possible. Your Ecology place will stay safe, and if its possible they'll just switch your course code.
Alnoo124
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
From the UCAS website:

If you decided to apply in 2020 for deferred entry and were successful, you can still reapply in 2021 without withdrawing your deferred place.

If you choose to do this, we will be in touch in early 2021 to check which application you would like to continue with.

Please note: This is only for applicants who are holding a deferred place due to start in 2021.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...deferred-entry
Thank you for sharing that with me, that's a bit more reassuring. Do you know how I go about reapplying, and should I get into contact with my old school?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you for sharing that with me, that's a bit more reassuring. Do you know how I go about reapplying, and should I get into contact with my old school?
You need to make an Apply 2021 account on UCAS and then fill in all your details (including a PS) and then add a referee who can provide a reference. If you'll need the reference to come from your old school then yes you need to speak to them.

Set up your Apply 2021 account as an individual for now. You can change from an individual application to link to a school/college (but you can't link to a school/college unless the school/college has given you their buzzword so if you wait then that will delay you completing the rest of your application)
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You will have to start a fresh UCAS application.

You should email your school - normally the head of sixth form or the person who deals with UCAS - and explain the situation to them. Ask them if they would prefer you to apply independently or through them and if they will be prepared to provide a reference again. It shouldn't be a problem.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you set up an individual account on Apply2021 then the Options section lets you change from an individual to getting a reference from a recognised UCAS school/college. Some schools will want you to do the middle option (adding a buzzword so they can see your whole application), others will want you to do the bottom option (so they just add a reference but can do it through their UCAS logins) and some will just give you the email address and contact details to provide a reference as an individual.
Name:  Applyindividual.PNG
Views: 55
Size:  80.0 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed