I might become a Muslim for the sense of community.

Watch
EmbersOfThePyre
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am agnostic but have been lonely af for so long. I feel like in these difficult times it is good to have a strong community where people can mutually come together.

Plus, I like their food.
Ghanna
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
dont do it. dont join an especially conservative religion just for a sense of community. you need self love and habit checks, religion gives you a spiritual identity crisis. but whatever man do what you want.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
That sounds like a terrible idea. It's quite common I believe for converts to initially be treated like princes with lots of mashallahs and hugs, but once the initial novelty of the conversion wears off many feel isolated and forgotten. Some studies have shown 75% of converts leave Islam within 3 years. There's no point in converting if you don't believe in Islam, especially as that religion requires a large amount of praying and other religious rituals which you're probably not going to keep up if you don't believe in the religion itself. And then if you do decide to leave you could potentially face a lot more hostility than leaving other faiths.

There are other ways to be part of a community: join a sports team, a book club, society etc.

There's no such thing as Muslim food. And the food you're referring to can be eaten by anyone, you don't need to convert to buy it or make it...
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by EmbersOfThePyre)
I am agnostic but have been lonely af for so long. I feel like in these difficult times it is good to have a strong community where people can mutually come together.

Plus, I like their food.
Troll

A "sense of community" doesn't change what is true.
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If you're looking for meaning do some volunteer work, joining a religion so you can start calling people you've never met 'brother' and 'sister' is the most asinine thing you could do.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You should research about the religion and get in contact with a religious scholar and ask questions before you make any decisions. It’s true there’s a big sense of community in the religion because charity and congregating is a big part of the religion. Feel free to message me if you have questions about Islam, I am not a scholar but I can do my best to help.
Last edited by Mustafa0605; 10 months ago
Interestingenuf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by EmbersOfThePyre)

Plus, I like their food.
I was once agnostic. I was raised in Christianity and didn’t believe Jesus was God- seemed very polytheistic to me. After looking into Islam and not the cultural norms of some “Islamic” countries, it was an easy adjustment to believe. Even the harder concepts become easier to accept as the truth because you begin to think of all the constructs that make up the rules vs just a western societal view, which is VERY bias and not accurate. It doesn’t hurt to check it out. I still haven’t gone to a mosque myself, but I plan to start volunteering to make friends. I think it’ll be hard bc I’m probably older than most single women my age. It’s also hard for me to say some of the common expressions, but that’s because I wasn’t raised in the culture.
HasanQ585
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
aside from the sense of community, Islam is also true
Interestingenuf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
If you're looking for meaning do some volunteer work, joining a religion so you can start calling people you've never met 'brother' and 'sister' is the most asinine thing you could do.
You’re in an online forum… I’m sure you’re just as lonely, but pessimistic too
mike44
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 hours ago
(Original post by HasanQ585)
aside from the sense of community, Islam is also true
Seriously? Some unproven entity spoke some vague ideas of how life should be to an illiterate wanderer in the desert. It's just another human construct to make us feel better about dying.

Surely its time for our alleged intelligent species to move past such superstitious nonsense and accept we are all mortal and have a use by date !
HasanQ585
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 hours ago
(Original post by mike44)
Seriously? Some unproven entity spoke some vague ideas of how life should be to an illiterate wanderer in the desert. It's just another human construct to make us feel better about dying.

Surely its time for our alleged intelligent species to move past such superstitious nonsense and accept we are all mortal and have a use by date !
if someone were to posit to you that said "unproven entity" does exist, what reasons and/or evidence would you accept
Last edited by HasanQ585; 4 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads