The Student Room Group

Vet School Question

Just wondering if anyone knows if you get a separate degree after completing the first three years of vet school at Liverpool, my parents think you do and I have no idea? Thanks in advance!
If you drop out of Liverpool vet school after completion of 3rd year you are given a degree yes - I think it is animal science
But this is not awarded if you complete 5 years as you then receive your veterinary degree.

I believe all vet schools operate this way - some may technically award two such as one of veterinary medicine and one of veterinary surgery but this is just a pompous way of giving you a veterinary degree and means no more or less than any other.

It is possible to intercalate after your third year, then upon graduation you would receive your veterinary degree and other degree of choice (one year of study is all thats required as technically only the final years are the veterinary degree but you must undertake pre-clinical study to achieve them). In Cambridge this is a forced intercalation. Intercalation is overall not very useful unless you want to go into further research/academia but is a cheap way of achieving a secondary degree.
Not sure about Liverpool, but I believe the only 'exit' degree out of all the vet schools is Nottingham's BVMedSci which ALL students get in their third year, regardless of if they are leaving the course or continuing to get their vet degree.

Other universities don't allow you to pick up a degree in this way, with the exception of intercalation as mentioned in the above post. However, if a student expresses desire to leave the course, they can usually do a research project or some work to turn what they've studied so far into a degree. I know for a fact this can happen at RVC. I believe the degree name is BSc Public Health or something? I'm not 100% but I know a girl who is considering doing this.
Original post by louisvbird
Not sure about Liverpool, but I believe the only 'exit' degree out of all the vet schools is Nottingham's BVMedSci which ALL students get in their third year, regardless of if they are leaving the course or continuing to get their vet degree.

Other universities don't allow you to pick up a degree in this way, with the exception of intercalation as mentioned in the above post. However, if a student expresses desire to leave the course, they can usually do a research project or some work to turn what they've studied so far into a degree. I know for a fact this can happen at RVC. I believe the degree name is BSc Public Health or something? I'm not 100% but I know a girl who is considering doing this.

Liverpool do allow you to pick up an exit degree
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Liverpool do allow you to pick up an exit degree

Sorry yes, I meant in terms of a degree that all students are entitled to.

As far as I know, most if not all of the vet schools make arrangements for an exit degree if a student does decide to leave the course. :smile:

Quick Reply