How do you approach a roundabout? (foot control)

Watch
User_0192
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi
I want to know how do you approach a roundabout using ur foot control with a manual car?
When I mean by foot control I mean by when do you break or clutch down things like that?
Thank you
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You should brake on approach to the roundabout and move down your gears as you slow. Avoid coasting (keeping the clutch pressed in for an extended period of time). As you move down your gears, you’ll also get engine braking which will help with slowing and controlling tour speed.

If it’s easier, practice on a straight stretch of road, reducing your speed and going down your gears at the same time.

For example: 40mph in 4th, brake down to 30mph, clutch in and change to 3rd, continue to brake smoothly down to 20mph, move to 2nd, if the roundabout is clear and safe/ green light, continue, if a red light/ traffic, brake further to a stop and move to 1st. It should all be continual and a smooth motion. You can still brake and change your gears down.

It’s actually quite difficult to explain but it definitely becomes one continual motion.
User_0192
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bexjw)
You should brake on approach to the roundabout and move down your gears as you slow. Avoid coasting (keeping the clutch pressed in for an extended period of time). As you move down your gears, you’ll also get engine braking which will help with slowing and controlling tour speed.

If it’s easier, practice on a straight stretch of road, reducing your speed and going down your gears at the same time.

For example: 40mph in 4th, brake down to 30mph, clutch in and change to 3rd, continue to brake smoothly down to 20mph, move to 2nd, if the roundabout is clear and safe/ green light, continue, if a red light/ traffic, brake further to a stop and move to 1st. It should all be continual and a smooth motion. You can still brake and change your gears down.

It’s actually quite difficult to explain but it definitely becomes one continual motion.
Thanks for the help I want to know Is this fine?
So as I am approaching a roundabout I will brake and soon later on clutch down and switch into second gear.

Then I will release the clutch slowly and brake more as I’m getting near the roundabout. Be at a very slow speed and look to my right.

If it’s clear I will press the gas and enter the roundabout. If it’s not clear I will clutch down and brake and go into first gear.
Last edited by User_0192; 8 months ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by User_0192)
Is this fine?
So as I am approaching a roundabout I will brake and soon later on clutch down and switch into second gear.

Then I will release the clutch slowly and brake more as I’m getting near the roundabout. Be at a very slow speed and look to my right.

If it’s clear I will press the gas and enter the roundabout. If it’s not clear I will clutch down and brake and go into first gear.
Sounds about right to me.
User_0192
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Sounds about right to me.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (222)
43.36%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.33%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.62%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.09%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.13%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.47%

Watched Threads