The Student Room Group

I've differed my GDL for sept 2021, does this mean I still have to take the SQE ?

Ok I have soo many questions but I'm gonna narrow it down.

First, because the new system begins in sept 2021, does this mean I can't take the old route?

Second, how many times can you retake the SQE, or is it even possible. I mean it's like £4000. It's hella expensive.

third, honestly, what the best option, continue my GDL and go through exams and submit essays. Then go on to do more exams in the SQE, stage 1 and 2. Like its cheaper than the LPC and GDL put together but theres more exam??
1. Deferred, not differed.

2. The old route will exist until 2032. Anyone who commences a GDL before December 2021 will still be eligible to sit the LPC afterwards instead of the SQE.

3. I truly don't recommend self-funding any of these exams as they're huge investments, money- and time-wise.
Original post by MillenniumGirl
1. Deferred, not differed.

2. The old route will exist until 2032. Anyone who commences a GDL before December 2021 will still be eligible to sit the LPC afterwards instead of the SQE.

3. I truly don't recommend self-funding any of these exams as they're huge investments, money- and time-wise.

ahh thank u saoo much. I have tried to find information from universities but none actually tell u about it in detail. So to double-check because I start my course in 2021 september I can still take the old route as in GDL, LPC and training contracts to be a qualified solicitor?
Original post by kjc.student.room
ahh thank u saoo much. I have tried to find information from universities but none actually tell u about it in detail. So to double-check because I start my course in 2021 september I can still take the old route as in GDL, LPC and training contracts to be a qualified solicitor?

Technically yes, according to the recruiter Jessica Booker on TCLA (I've not confirmed this myself). But like I said, I really strongly recommend you not to fund anything yourself and wait for a TC.
Original post by MillenniumGirl
Technically yes, according to the recruiter Jessica Booker on TCLA (I've not confirmed this myself). But like I said, I really strongly recommend you not to fund anything yourself and wait for a TC.

ahh I see. Yup. I haven't actually accepted my offer yet I've only deferred it. I've checked the website and it says as long as I have accepted it and set up a non-refundable payment.
I have checked with the SRA in writing and if you have a training contract offer by then or if you have accepted a place on the GDL starting September 2021 you can definitely still do the GDL LPC route. The reason I checked was my son was going to have a gap year but did not want to be in the new regime (although in the end the gap year travel plans are in tatters and he is now doing the GDL this year instead so no issue over SQE). I thin it is very very unhelpful it is so hard to find out. I am a lawyer. I had to write to my regulator. They could not even tell me over the phone and they had to take a few weeks to find the answer.

So
1. You can still do the GDL. (The BPP new style PGDL even this year prepares you for SQE1 and GDL options by the way)
2. I don't know how many SQE retakes are possible. I have not had to look that up. At a guess 3 attempts but that might well be wrong.
3. Hard to know. It is certainly simpler to pass the GDL in 2022 and then the LPC in 2023. If you can get a firm to pay so much the better. I am not keen on change so I would probably stay stick with the GDL and LPC as long as you can but I realise cost is the main issue.
Original post by 17Student17
I have checked with the SRA in writing and if you have a training contract offer by then or if you have accepted a place on the GDL starting September 2021 you can definitely still do the GDL LPC route. The reason I checked was my son was going to have a gap year but did not want to be in the new regime (although in the end the gap year travel plans are in tatters and he is now doing the GDL this year instead so no issue over SQE). I thin it is very very unhelpful it is so hard to find out. I am a lawyer. I had to write to my regulator. They could not even tell me over the phone and they had to take a few weeks to find the answer.

So
1. You can still do the GDL. (The BPP new style PGDL even this year prepares you for SQE1 and GDL options by the way)
2. I don't know how many SQE retakes are possible. I have not had to look that up. At a guess 3 attempts but that might well be wrong.
3. Hard to know. It is certainly simpler to pass the GDL in 2022 and then the LPC in 2023. If you can get a firm to pay so much the better. I am not keen on change so I would probably stay stick with the GDL and LPC as long as you can but I realise cost is the main issue.

hi your information is really helpful thank you. I have applied for a part-time because i want to work at the same time. This means I would finish my course by september 2023. Which sounds really late. I have checked with the addmmissions at uni of law and they did say that the LPC will still run for another 10 years but it is possible that law firms will not run two systems at the same time. But surely law firms would still want aspiring traineese to have a GDL right?
As far as I know if you have accepted a GDL place to start September 2021 even if it is part time you have the choice of the existing route GDL then LPC then 2 years TC. However it is likely all major law firms will move to the SQE system when they are required to and will want all their trainees moving over as they probably will not want some trainees under one system and others not.

So if you finish a part time GDL in 2023 you would need to find a firm happy that you do the LPC which they might be if they are a firm that does not fund it as then they would know you had done all your exams before you start and have passed them. Also the GDL will always be a plus piont in my view over studying for the SQE1 in your own time from books etc.
Original post by 17Student17
As far as I know if you have accepted a GDL place to start September 2021 even if it is part time you have the choice of the existing route GDL then LPC then 2 years TC. However it is likely all major law firms will move to the SQE system when they are required to and will want all their trainees moving over as they probably will not want some trainees under one system and others not.

So if you finish a part time GDL in 2023 you would need to find a firm happy that you do the LPC which they might be if they are a firm that does not fund it as then they would know you had done all your exams before you start and have passed them. Also the GDL will always be a plus piont in my view over studying for the SQE1 in your own time from books etc.

The LSB haven't officially approved the SQE yet. They were due to make a decision earlier in the year and delayed it to the end of this month. So I think that there is a reasonable chance that it will be delayed again anyway...
asiring, I agree too. I also hope it is delayed yet again too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending