Want more information about this university?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
On the one hand, Sheffield is much closer to where i live, however i understand coventry is better at engineering, more specifically Automotive engineering
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I'm a current student studying Materials Science and Engineering at The University of Sheffield. This is a general thing in the Faculty of Engineering and I love the fact that the engineering departments has so many different connections with various industries like Rolls Royce, IBM, JLR and Boeing. Some professors directly research for Rolls Royce and my department has a direct research centre with them. Because of this, I've received loads of exposure and workshops from them regarding employability or CV checking sessions, mock assessment centres and so on. My final year project is also a collab with RR so that's been great for me.

In addition to that, Uni of Sheffield also has different initiatives that houses loads of different projects including robotics one like Avalon ROV oe Mars Rover. I was part of SunbYte which was in collab with NASA and we actually went there and launched our telescope from there. There are other student-led projects as well which multiple engineering departments fund and support.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Sanchari
4th Year, MEng Materials Science and Engineering, UoS
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
On the one hand, Sheffield is much closer to where i live, however i understand coventry is better at engineering, more specifically Automotive engineering
Hi,

I'm a Law graduate from Hallam, so can't say much about the engineering course. However, I would recommend you go on our online chat service and speak to Alice who is a fourth year Automotive engineering student. She may be able to give you a insight into the course at Hallam and what placement opportunities are available.

You could also book onto a virtual open day on Saturday 31st of October. This should give you a chance to speak to academics and students on the course and ask any specific questions you have.

Let me know if you have any questions about the university or Sheffield as a city

Zaira
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For engineering Coventry is more well known, especially for automotive engineering.

Coventry is on the door step of JLR, Aston Martin, London cab electric vehicle co., Lotus, Lots of tier 1 & 2 suppliers.& places like Mira & Milbrook. (I believe international OEMs also have midlands production factories)

I spent a lil bit of time in an auto OEM and Coventry sent a few engineers in, im sure Hallam sends some but I cant recall hearing much about grads from their.

I doubt it makes a huge difference, especially if you are a well motivated student, you can probably go either and it will be fine.
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

We are pleased to hear you are looking at studying at Hallam! Our student ambassador Zaira has made a good suggestion to chat with our current BEng Automotive Engineering student Alice on our chat platform, she can give you a lot of insight to the course modules, timetables, placement opportunities and the engineering community here.There is currently a postgraduate event on today and by the looks of things it is only currently showing postagrad students on the Platform, so I would recommend checking back tomorrow.

There are opportunities for you to get involved in SHU Racing Formula one team which you can learn more about on the SHU Racing website and from this interesting TEDxSheffieldHallamUniversity video. You can also check out our student view video on the course page to gain further insight and view our engineering facilities.

As Zaira has said, booking onto our next virtual open day on Saturday 31st October is a great opportunity to chat to academics from the course, get your questions answered, get a student opinion and also speak to any other uni services such as our applications team for application advice, accommodation, student support and careers.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
- Ella
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (660)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (839)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads