harveyspecter11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I'm applying to Cam, kings, lse, ucl and soas for Law as an international student. Being very ambitious with my choices because I've not got much to lose as an intl student even if I dont get many offers. Worries about GCSEs being the weakest part of my app. What chances do I have at LSE/UCL with the following stats?Stats:GCSEs: 1A star, 3A, 4Bs (Bs are in science subjects, As in humanities english)A levels Predicted: 3 a stars, 1 A. (A star in Law, Politics, Business. A in Economics)LNAT: Appearing tomorrow, averaging 26-32. Hoping for the best in the essay, I'm used to writing similar essaysPersonal Statement: Have done a lot extra curriculars in Law as I'm genuinely interested in the field, so included those. Again, hoping for the best
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think you have a plenty chance.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harveyspecter11)
Hi, I'm applying to Cam, kings, lse, ucl and soas for Law as an international student. Being very ambitious with my choices because I've not got much to lose as an intl student even if I dont get many offers. Worries about GCSEs being the weakest part of my app. What chances do I have at LSE/UCL with the following stats?Stats:GCSEs: 1A star, 3A, 4Bs (Bs are in science subjects, As in humanities english)A levels Predicted: 3 a stars, 1 A. (A star in Law, Politics, Business. A in Economics)LNAT: Appearing tomorrow, averaging 26-32. Hoping for the best in the essay, I'm used to writing similar essaysPersonal Statement: Have done a lot extra curriculars in Law as I'm genuinely interested in the field, so included those. Again, hoping for the best
Your biggest problem is that some of these top unis will question whether your A*A*A*A predictions are realistic given your quite average GCSEs (for Law), unless there were extenuating circumstances to explain why you are likely to perform so much better in your A levels than your GCSEs.

Unis that look closely at GCSEs like LSE will be sceptical I believe, and do not much care about extracurriculars. Still, as you point out you have nothing to lose by applying and not all unis look closely at GCSEs. Some will be easier to get offers from than others, like SOAS
Last edited by harrysbar; 3 months ago
harveyspecter11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Your biggest problem is that some of these top unis will question whether your A*A*A*A predictions are realistic given your quite average GCSEs (for Law), unless there were extenuating circumstances to explain why you are likely to perform so much better in your A levels than your GCSEs.

Unis that look closely at GCSEs like LSE will be sceptical I believe, and do not much care about extracurriculars. Still, as you point out you have nothing to lose by applying and not all unis look closely at GCSEs. Some will be easier to get offers from than others, like SOAS
I agree with you. But I genuinely worked hard during my A levels- and the explanation, rather than extent hating circumstances is that I wasn’t particularly interested in science subjects during GCSEs, but was interested in all my A lvl subjects. Still, I know, not enough.

Also, my school is known for not changing expected grades, and has sent quite a few kids to LSE from Pakistan. Does this help?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
LSE do state that they expect Law applicants to have several GCSE grades at grades 7/8/9. You have 4 so it may be that your GCSE profile is good enough, especially as you are stronger on the essay writing subjects. However, I still think they might question your exceptionally high predicted grades of A*A*A*A. It won't necessarily help that your school has sent lots of other students to LSE unless they have a good track record of being accurate with their predicted grades.

The only way of knowing for sure how they will view your application is to apply and hope for the best. A good LNAT score will definitely help your application but remember that LSE don't read the essay part.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (269)
56.39%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise