The Student Room Group

Universities

I understand you can only apply to 5 Universities in the UK or less, but how many colleges can I apply for each university? Is there a limit? Also im interested in Law, should I apply to Cambridge or Oxford? And which colleges are the best?
Thank you!
You can only apply to one college per application. So one of your slots would be taken up by the college. As for oxbridge you can only apply once anyway and not for both. If you think you can last through the interview and have the right grades and extracurriculars then go for it! But always remember to have a backup plan
Not many UK unis have colleges and the ones that do operate them in different ways so for each uni you apply to you should look through the website of the given uni to see specific detail on any collegiate system they may have.

For Oxford and Cambridge you either apply for one specific college (you may be pooled to a different college later in the process) or make an open application where you will be assigned a college.

As to which one out of the two unis is better for law is a tough question to answer so I wouldn't say there is a wrong or right answer to that. I would read through the websites of the respective courses and look for the differences to decide which one.

When it comes to Oxbridge college choices you should once again look through the respective sites of each college. There is also a pros and cons list for each college here on tsr that may be useful.

Remember the Oxbridge UCAS deadline is the 15th so you will need to make these choices very soon. You will also need to register for the LNAT exam if you choose Oxford for which the deadline is the 15th.
Isn't a bit late to be deciding all of this now? You've got 3 days or so to apply.
Reply 4
Original post by LegsEleven17
You can only apply to one college per application. So one of your slots would be taken up by the college. As for oxbridge you can only apply once anyway and not for both. If you think you can last through the interview and have the right grades and extracurriculars then go for it! But always remember to have a backup plan

So for example, Oxford University, I can only choose one college? Like only Magdalen for example? My backup plans are LSE,UCL and KCL, are this ones good backup plans?. I was thinking in applying Oxford (no Cambridge then) because I really loved Magdalen College, I would love to go there
Reply 5
Original post by Blackhart
Not many UK unis have colleges and the ones that do operate them in different ways so for each uni you apply to you should look through the website of the given uni to see specific detail on any collegiate system they may have.

For Oxford and Cambridge you either apply for one specific college (you may be pooled to a different college later in the process) or make an open application where you will be assigned a college.

As to which one out of the two unis is better for law is a tough question to answer so I wouldn't say there is a wrong or right answer to that. I would read through the websites of the respective courses and look for the differences to decide which one.

When it comes to Oxbridge college choices you should once again look through the respective sites of each college. There is also a pros and cons list for each college here on tsr that may be useful.

Remember the Oxbridge UCAS deadline is the 15th so you will need to make these choices very soon. You will also need to register for the LNAT exam if you choose Oxford for which the deadline is the 15th.

Thank you so much, im actually applying next year (cause im still in year 12) but I have like only till summer to actually decide my universities and everything. Also, how do you register to do the LNAT exam? Is there a deadline date? Or any website? I really dont wanna mess it up and be confused about how to register
Reply 6
Original post by chloenix
Isn't a bit late to be deciding all of this now? You've got 3 days or so to apply.

I actually have till summer to think about all of this because im still in year 12, but I just wanted to be sure so when the time comes im 100% sure
Original post by Franco28
Thank you so much, im actually applying next year (cause im still in year 12) but I have like only till summer to actually decide my universities and everything. Also, how do you register to do the LNAT exam? Is there a deadline date? Or any website? I really dont wanna mess it up and be confused about how to register

The link below contains information about the LNAT and how to enter for it. This is a very useful link so I would bookmark it.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/tests/lnat

The LNAT itself has a very late deadline but universities have there own deadlines for sitting the LNAT. Since Oxford have such an early deadline you must register for the LNAT before September 15th and take it before October 15th. Below is the LNAT website, you have to register for the LNAT on this site (you can do this from August 1st the year you apply.)

https://lnat.ac.uk/

I will also give you some advice as well. Firstly don't stress to much about making the arrangements, most of it is pretty straight forward and 1000's have gone through the same process so there will always be help/suppport available.

Secondly the LNAT is going to form a pretty important part of your application particularly in terms of getting an interview so start preparing for it early (maybe just after as exams or the start of the summer holidays. Familarize yourself with the structure of the exam and style of question by doing specimen papers. Becuase of the nature of the LNAT it is quite easy to come up with similar questions on your own after you have done the specimen papers so you should have pretty much infinite revsion possibilities therefore hard work really can pay off. in getting a better score.
Reply 8
Original post by Franco28
So for example, Oxford University, I can only choose one college? Like only Magdalen for example? My backup plans are LSE,UCL and KCL, are this ones good backup plans?. I was thinking in applying Oxford (no Cambridge then) because I really loved Magdalen College, I would love to go there

Yes, you only apply to one Oxford college. However you may be pooled and have interviews in multiple colleges, so you may end up with an offer from a college you didn't apply to. But if you're lucky enough to get an offer, it will just be for one college. No one college is the "best" for any subject at Oxford or Cambridge.

I think those are the only major universities where you apply for courses within individual colleges rather than the university as a whole.
Reply 9
Original post by Blackhart
The link below contains information about the LNAT and how to enter for it. This is a very useful link so I would bookmark it.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/tests/lnat

The LNAT itself has a very late deadline but universities have there own deadlines for sitting the LNAT. Since Oxford have such an early deadline you must register for the LNAT before September 15th and take it before October 15th. Below is the LNAT website, you have to register for the LNAT on this site (you can do this from August 1st the year you apply.)

https://lnat.ac.uk/

I will also give you some advice as well. Firstly don't stress to much about making the arrangements, most of it is pretty straight forward and 1000's have gone through the same process so there will always be help/suppport available.

Secondly the LNAT is going to form a pretty important part of your application particularly in terms of getting an interview so start preparing for it early (maybe just after as exams or the start of the summer holidays. Familarize yourself with the structure of the exam and style of question by doing specimen papers. Becuase of the nature of the LNAT it is quite easy to come up with similar questions on your own after you have done the specimen papers so you should have pretty much infinite revsion possibilities therefore hard work really can pay off. in getting a better score.

Thank you so much! My friend told me the LNAT it’s really difficult and thats why most people get only a bit above the half of the score so I was worrying a lot. I bought some books like it have like 400 pages to practice as well as the structure so I hope it does help me! Also I’m a bit concern for my GCSE’s and I was thinking in retake maths, my grades are 9,8,7,6,5,6,5,6,5,6, are this grades good? Or should i retake maths (i got a 5) and I’ll save the websites you sent me😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending