cj104
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I managed to find the answer using uv'-vu'/v^2 but I wanna know how we can find the answer using limits with something like f(x+h)-f(x)/h
Name:  Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 11.15.50 AM.png
Views: 6
Size:  29.0 KB
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cj104)
I managed to find the answer using uv'-vu'/v^2 but I wanna know how we can find the answer using limits with something like f(x+h)-f(x)/h
Name:  Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 11.15.50 AM.png
Views: 6
Size:  29.0 KB
\displaystyle m = \lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{\frac{3}{\sqrt{a+h}} - \frac{3}{\sqrt{a}}}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0}\dfrac{3\sqrt{a} - 3\sqrt{a+h}}{h\sqrt{a}\sqrt{a+h}  }

It is now useful to use Binomial theorem on \sqrt{a+h} in increasing powers of h since h is small when it tends to zero.

EDIT: Even better, just multiply numerator and denominator by 3\sqrt{a} + 3\sqrt{a+h}, simplify to get rid of the singularity at h=0, and get the limit by subbing in h=0.
Last edited by RDKGames; 3 months ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
EDIT: Even better, just multiply numerator and denominator by 3\sqrt{a} + 3\sqrt{a+h}, simplify to get rid of the singularity at h=0, and get the limit by subbing in h=0.
Not only is this simpler, but it avoids the circularity that proofs of the binomial theorem usually assume you've already proved (1+x)^\alpha is differentiable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed