The Student Room Group

Why is McDonald's so extremely popular?

Is there some kind of magic ingredient in their food or something?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it taste good af
It’s cheap too
The magic ingredient is called MSG. Naturally occurs in peanuts, unnaturally occurs in Chinese takeaways.
Reply 4
it's cheap and gross - tons of sugar and fat. people love that ****.
Reply 5
There's literally nothing special/amazing about it but I still want it for some reason???
Reply 6
Original post by glassalice
The magic ingredient is called MSG. Naturally occurs in peanuts, unnaturally occurs in Chinese takeaways.

Hmmm
As above, it's cheapish, convenient, ties into our impulse to ape the USA and they pour boatloads of cash into pathfinding, development and branding.
I've only had their fish fillet burger from there. I remember one particular time, I was full and was ordering food for my siblings and the smell of fast food made me sick. Like someone was shoving down oil and humid stuffy air down my airways and every little detail was standing out.

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
I enjoy it now and again, but the food is good. However, not every item on the list will be as good as some of the popular meals.
Original post by issawrap
Hmmm

Just checked their website (someone else will), allegedly they don't in the UK. They do elsewhere in the world though.
Original post by issawrap
Is there some kind of magic ingredient in their food or something?

Mostly consistency.
Its decently tasty food at a reasonable price & you know what your getting.

Smaller greasy spoons/local cafes cant compete on product margin or wide variety of foods available, and more have to sell themselves on service & specific favourites for locals.
Reply 12
Original post by anaindiemood
It’s cheap too

it's not cheap, it's terribly overpriced for what you actually getting

https://survivalfreedom.com/how-much-does-it-cost-mcdonalds-to-make-a-big-mac/

they are making a ton of profit with every transaction!
Familiarity.
Original post by ANM775
it's not cheap, it's terribly overpriced for what you actually getting

https://survivalfreedom.com/how-much-does-it-cost-mcdonalds-to-make-a-big-mac/

they are making a ton of profit with every transaction!

That’s probably true. I guess when you’re out and about a cheeseburger (even if it is questionable as to what it’s actually made of!) for 99p sounds pretty good in comparison to a £4/£5 one from somewhere else!
Reply 15
I just had it for lunch - wasn't very good. I had the new spicy quarter pounder.
Original post by mnot
Mostly consistency.
Its decently tasty food at a reasonable price & you know what your getting.

Smaller greasy spoons/local cafes cant compete on product margin or wide variety of foods available, and more have to sell themselves on service & specific favourites for locals.

I agree
When I used to eat McDonald's as a kid, it was the pickle slices in their burgers and the happy meal toys that did it for me. Haven't been to McDonald's in years though.
Because it’s fab!! Even though I only go there about 5 times a year because my mums big on healthy eating.
Cheap and easily available.

Quick Reply

Latest