The Student Room Group

Admission for an international/mature student?

Hi there,

I'm hoping I can get some feedback/tips regarding what my best options would be for getting into a Vet school here in the UK! Unfortunately because of my situation, and it being difficult to get in touch with universities at the moment, I feel a bit overwhelmed on where to start.

I am from the US originally, and attended Highschool and one college semester in the States. I now live in the UK, and am no longer in school. I am not currently a permanent resident of the UK (spousal visa) but I can apply for permanent residency in a couple years. I last attended school back in 2017, I've just been working full time since then. When I was in college, I dropped out after my first semester due to mental health reasons.

Unfortunately, my grades for both Highschool/college were not great. I failed many of my courses in college, and I finished with a GPA of 84.72 in Highschool. I did take an AP course of Bio in Highschool.

After taking some time away from education and growing up a bit, I feel ready to start working towards a career I actually have interest in. Upon researching the entry requirements for the various Vet schools across the UK, it appears that I don't quite meet the entry requirements. I have emailed many of the Uni's to ask for their recommendations, but I was hoping to get some more feedback from outside sources as well.

Is my best bet taking A-levels, or trying for a gateway course? Is it even possible to get into a Vet school with my past (failing and not-so-great highschool grades/older student), even if I take some more courses before applying for Vet school?

Any advice on what my next steps should be would be really appreciated!

Thank you,
I think here in the UK, universities are quite set on 3 AAAs. However, you could look into bioveterinary science/zoology etc and do that degree for 3 years, work hard and get a 2:1, and then try and apply for vet med (4 years). You would have to spend 7 years at university, but you come out with 2 degrees. The entry requirements for the courses (depending on where you apply) are usually AAB/BBB.
Original post by CatRex
I am from the US originally, and attended Highschool and one college semester in the States. I now live in the UK, and am no longer in school. I am not currently a permanent resident of the UK (spousal visa) but I can apply for permanent residency in a couple years. I last attended school back in 2017, I've just been working full time since then. When I was in college, I dropped out after my first semester due to mental health reasons.

Original post by CatRex
Is my best bet taking A-levels, or trying for a gateway course? Is it even possible to get into a Vet school with my past (failing and not-so-great highschool grades/older student), even if I take some more courses before applying for Vet school?

This isn't my field, but I'll offer some general advice.

I would expect that you will need more qualifications (you essentially have one AP, and you didn't mention the grade) and recent study. Personally, I'd go the A level route. However, please be aware that you will need to do well - you should have a plan B incase you don't meet the entry requirements.

Original post by CatRex
Unfortunately, my grades for both Highschool/college were not great. I failed many of my courses in college, and I finished with a GPA of 84.72 in Highschool. I did take an AP course of Bio in Highschool.

For the higher entry requirement courses, only externally moderated qualifications are accepted - most won't even want your GPA (was that number a typo?). Practically, that means your AP and any SAT/ACT are your only relevant qualifications. However, I don't know how they would view the time that has elapsed.

Original post by CatRex
After taking some time away from education and growing up a bit, I feel ready to start working towards a career I actually have interest in. Upon researching the entry requirements for the various Vet schools across the UK, it appears that I don't quite meet the entry requirements. I have emailed many of the Uni's to ask for their recommendations, but I was hoping to get some more feedback from outside sources as well.

It's good to have contacted the universities - they will be able to give you the most relevant advice.

Being a vet involves a lot of putting animals to sleep - can you cope with that? Some work experience would strengthen your application by demonstrating that you know the realities of the job.

My other major concern would be your fee status - you definitely need to research that. It may also make the A level route more attractive. Good luck - I hope that you can get into your dream profession.
Reply 3
Thanks very much for the replies!

Original post by RogerOxon
This isn't my field, but I'll offer some general advice.

I would expect that you will need more qualifications (you essentially have one AP, and you didn't mention the grade) and recent study. Personally, I'd go the A level route. However, please be aware that you will need to do well - you should have a plan B incase you don't meet the entry requirements.

I am leaning more towards doing my A levels as you mentioned, as I've had some feedback from others (including a university) that this may be a good option. As you stated, I need to make sure that I do well on my A levels if I choose to take them. Are A levels something you can ever re-take? If so, do universities need to see both your first and second attempt?

For the higher entry requirement courses, only externally moderated qualifications are accepted - most won't even want your GPA (was that number a typo?). Practically, that means your AP and any SAT/ACT are your only relevant qualifications. However, I don't know how they would view the time that has elapsed.
Sorry for the strange looking GPA, the figure I gave is the one listed on my transcript, I hadn't converted it to a 4.0 scale. I would have to enquire about the gap in time with the universities.

Being a vet involves a lot of putting animals to sleep - can you cope with that? Some work experience would strengthen your application by demonstrating that you know the realities of the job.

My other major concern would be your fee status - you definitely need to research that. It may also make the A level route more attractive. Good luck - I hope that you can get into your dream profession.

Thanks again for all the advice. Luckily, back at the end of High School I actually spent some time in vet clinics "shadowing" veterinarians, which was very helpful in allowing me to see the realities of the job. As mentioned in my original post, at the time I was leaving HS, due to a variety of factors, I didn't pursue a career in this field. But having experienced the realities of working/life a bit more, I feel like its something I'd like to pursue now. I have been emailing local shelters/facilities to see if I can get some volunteering in as well.

As for the fees, it looks like I am eligible for UK tuition as long as I'm a permanent resident (which I'm not yet, have to wait a couple years), so I may have to hold off until then.
Original post by CatRex
I am leaning more towards doing my A levels as you mentioned, as I've had some feedback from others (including a university) that this may be a good option. As you stated, I need to make sure that I do well on my A levels if I choose to take them. Are A levels something you can ever re-take? If so, do universities need to see both your first and second attempt?

you can retake but you would have to declare all grades and some unis do not accept retakes or ask for higher grades from the retake than their normal offer - you would be best off by taking your time and smashing them first time.
As a vet student - who resat the AS components of some A levels it did not impact my application - My AS chemistry grade was a U so obviously wouldn't meet the requirements - I resat this and my final A2 grade was an A. Applied to Liverpool, Nottingham, RVC and Surrey and got interviews and offers from Liv, Notts and RVC.

Obviously scoring the right result the first time makes your life far easier but don't let people who haven't experienced the applications process tell you its impossible - the majority of vet schools will accept retakes and not want higher scores.
Reply 6
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
As a vet student - who resat the AS components of some A levels it did not impact my application - My AS chemistry grade was a U so obviously wouldn't meet the requirements - I resat this and my final A2 grade was an A. Applied to Liverpool, Nottingham, RVC and Surrey and got interviews and offers from Liv, Notts and RVC.

Obviously scoring the right result the first time makes your life far easier but don't let people who haven't experienced the applications process tell you its impossible - the majority of vet schools will accept retakes and not want higher scores.

Thank you for sharing your experience! That's great to hear. I tend to get nervous on exams, especially when it's one that will have a large impact on future opportunities. So, I feel less anxious knowing that if I don't do as well as I wanted, it won't be the end of the road for this career path. However, I have a different perspective on my education compared to the last time I went as a teenager, so I know I will work much harder this time around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending