natashaliu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,
I am currently in a top 10 university for econ which makes me seem whiny as yes I am in a respectable uni with decent job prospects however I can not stop thinking about transferring to the warwick or lse. I didn't apply for these in 2020 as I was very unconfident and had low self-esteem issues, I just didn't think I was good enough even though I exceeded the grades and had relevant work experience/ extracuriculars.

I am unhappy here as I just feel so much regret and unmotivated. It's been difficult being away from parents. I have emailed Warwick and they have asked for my reason for wanting to transfer. Could anyone advise me on what exceptional circumstances could qualify?

Thanks,
Natasha
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What uni are you currently at? You could try and get a First and then transfer there for Masters?
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by natashaliu)
I have emailed Warwick and they have asked for my reason for wanting to transfer. Could anyone advise me on what exceptional circumstances could qualify?
You should just explain your actual circumstances to them. If they will consider you only with exceptional circumstances, they will likely ask for some verification of this, (like a doctors note, or confirmation from a referee). From you post it seems you are looking to move only for academic reasons.

If you are in a decently ranked Econ programme already, what specifically do you want to gain from moving to Warwick or LSE?

The Transfer FAQ thread may be of use to you.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do your parents live in Warwick?
natashaliu
Rep:
?
Hello sorry for the late response.

Truthfully, I do not have 'exceptional circumstances'. I have family located in Warwick which would help with feeling settled and my parents live in London. I want to transfer because I am deeply unhappy being so far away from home and friends. I do not see myself being here for 3 years, I have met people and it is just hard to make friends, I feel really lonely here and sleeping late and feeling so unmotivated, alongside that I just feel disappointed in myself for not applying for LSE.

I want to try and just apply, I wont get my hopes up as it is unlikely but I think I just need to apply and then move on from this even if I do not get an offer.
natashaliu
Rep:
?
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
What uni are you currently at? You could try and get a First and then transfer there for Masters?
I am at University of Bath. I do not have an intention of doing Masters.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello sorry for the late response.

Truthfully, I do not have 'exceptional circumstances'. I have family located in Warwick which would help with feeling settled and my parents live in London. I want to transfer because I am deeply unhappy being so far away from home and friends. I do not see myself being here for 3 years, I have met people and it is just hard to make friends, I feel really lonely here and sleeping late and feeling so unmotivated, alongside that I just feel disappointed in myself for not applying for LSE.

I want to try and just apply, I wont get my hopes up as it is unlikely but I think I just need to apply and then move on from this even if I do not get an offer.
I'm sorry you're feeling so unhappy and lonely but it's very early to decide that you're not going to stay at Bath. Having difficulty making friends is likely to be the exact same (if not harder) in London (LSE has a reputation for unfriendly/anti social students) or Warwick - especially if you're successful in getting into 2nd year and so lumped in with a group of students who have studied together for a year. You would be putting a LOT of pressure on yourself which might not be a good idea if you're struggling with your mood and motivation (remember 2nd year results will count towards your final degree classification so if you're not in and thriving within a few weeks you'll be working at a significant disadvantage).

Have you spoken to anyone at Bath about your loneliness and unhappiness? https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/gettin...y-or-isolated/ - now that the initial chaos of starting your course etc has finished it's worthwhile putting some time and effort into both looking after yourself and into finding some friends who you can talk to. Getting involved in student societies is quite a common way to do this but I personally think the best way to make friends is to get a job or volunteer (having something to do *with* people is so much better to make connections). Or if you're in halls then you could get on the groupchat/discord/etc and arrange weekly watchalongs for tv programmes (bakeoff, strictly, gogglebox etc etc or bingewatching) - the sort of thing you might have done at home with your friends or family.

I'd also recommend you speak to your tutor about how you're feeling to see if they will support your application elsewhere. They'll often have extra insight and contacts at other departments and might be able to make suggestions to help your application.

Note: I'm not saying don't apply. I am saying that you need to have realistic expectations about applying elsewhere (both in terms of the chances of an offer and in terms of whether being successful would actually help you to improve how you're currently feeling). There's also a risk right now that if you mentally "give up" on your current course and university the your risk losing both your chances of successfully completing the year and your chances of making new friends and settling in. If you're going to apply elsewhere that needs to be balanced with some positive steps to make the most of your time at Bath (whether that is going to be for 1 year or longer). Your alternative is to suspend your studies or drop out of Bath and move back home - which is a difficult choice and sitting around for 10+ months at home isn't likely to help your mood.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,
I am currently in a top 10 university for econ which makes me seem whiny as yes I am in a respectable uni with decent job prospects however I can not stop thinking about transferring to the warwick or lse. I didn't apply for these in 2020 as I was very unconfident and had low self-esteem issues, I just didn't think I was good enough even though I exceeded the grades and had relevant work experience/ extracuriculars.

I am unhappy here as I just feel so much regret and unmotivated. It's been difficult being away from parents. I have emailed Warwick and they have asked for my reason for wanting to transfer. Could anyone advise me on what exceptional circumstances could qualify?

Thanks,
Natasha
It's a perfectly valid reason to say that you are lonely at Bath and have family in Warwick - that will reassure Warwick that your reason for wanting to switch makes sense. But as PQ says, you need to think it through carefully as there are no guarantees you would be any happier at a different uni. It is a particularly difficult year to be a fresher anywhere.

I wouldn't personally rate Warwick as a better uni than Bath anyway but that's a separate issue.
natashaliu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
I'm sorry you're feeling so unhappy and lonely but it's very early to decide that you're not going to stay at Bath. Having difficulty making friends is likely to be the exact same (if not harder) in London (LSE has a reputation for unfriendly/anti social students) or Warwick - especially if you're successful in getting into 2nd year and so lumped in with a group of students who have studied together for a year. You would be putting a LOT of pressure on yourself which might not be a good idea if you're struggling with your mood and motivation (remember 2nd year results will count towards your final degree classification so if you're not in and thriving within a few weeks you'll be working at a significant disadvantage).

Have you spoken to anyone at Bath about your loneliness and unhappiness? https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/gettin...y-or-isolated/ - now that the initial chaos of starting your course etc has finished it's worthwhile putting some time and effort into both looking after yourself and into finding some friends who you can talk to. Getting involved in student societies is quite a common way to do this but I personally think the best way to make friends is to get a job or volunteer (having something to do *with* people is so much better to make connections). Or if you're in halls then you could get on the groupchat/discord/etc and arrange weekly watchalongs for tv programmes (bakeoff, strictly, gogglebox etc etc or bingewatching) - the sort of thing you might have done at home with your friends or family.

I'd also recommend you speak to your tutor about how you're feeling to see if they will support your application elsewhere. They'll often have extra insight and contacts at other departments and might be able to make suggestions to help your application.

Note: I'm not saying don't apply. I am saying that you need to have realistic expectations about applying elsewhere (both in terms of the chances of an offer and in terms of whether being successful would actually help you to improve how you're currently feeling). There's also a risk right now that if you mentally "give up" on your current course and university the your risk losing both your chances of successfully completing the year and your chances of making new friends and settling in. If you're going to apply elsewhere that needs to be balanced with some positive steps to make the most of your time at Bath (whether that is going to be for 1 year or longer). Your alternative is to suspend your studies or drop out of Bath and move back home - which is a difficult choice and sitting around for 10+ months at home isn't likely to help your mood.
Thank you so much for your reply.
I think it is risky where even if I move, will I be much happier? I do not know but moving to a London uni or Warwick uni will help me in some regard as I have friends there and in london, I have my immediate family and home in general.
I have joined cheerleading society, econ society and I think I will join another sports club/society. I have made an effort to chat and meet people but the process of making friends is hard and usually i would say I am a bubbly person and outgoing but I have been inside my house, too shy to join parties on my own as my flatmates are not into that. What helps is me going into town and going for a walk and browsing the shops but I can't keep doing that.
I will contact the university about my thoughts and wanting to transfer, hopefully they will be supportive of that. I just feel stressed because I have to focus on personal statement and spring insights but it is okay, I will figure it out somehow.

Thanks again,
natasha
natashaliu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's a perfectly valid reason to say that you are lonely at Bath and have family in Warwick - that will reassure Warwick that your reason for wanting to switch makes sense. But as PQ says, you need to think it through carefully as there are no guarantees you would be any happier at a different uni. It is a particularly difficult year to be a fresher anywhere.

I wouldn't personally rate Warwick as a better uni than Bath anyway but that's a separate issue.
I think both are highly regarded universities but Warwick is one of the elite universities. Hopefully, they accept my reason to transfer once I send them an email. I am trying to figure how to word it. Thank you x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed