The Student Room Group

Intensity of Study at Cambridge

I am planning to apply to Cambridge in 2022 to do HSPS or Economics. I know that the intensity is high, but approximately how many hours per week do students work, how much is compulsory / additional etc? Also how much work is expected to be done outside of term time?
Getting through your reading list happens outside term, but the holidays are VERY long so it's manageable. For humanities subjects there are usually 1-3 hours of lectures a day (non-compulsory but most should be attended) and then you'd put in the extra reading/writing for at least one essay a week. You can certainly still have an active social life though.
I read online that 45 hours per week is in the ballpark, but obviously this will vary hugely from student to student
Reply 3
There is some pressure to reduce workload a little. I’d agree with the estimates around 40 hours.

Definitely need to reread notes and revise on the long holidays.

But there is a lot of support and small group working that really helps.

I somehow feel a lot of the “pressure” related to the peer group. People always seem to feel others are doing better/working harder. Most of the time they are not....... it can create anxiety though, I always tell them to focus on their own work and not worry about what others are doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending