?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B1619 – Non-Biodegradable Plastic Glitter Bill 2020, Miss Maddie MP

Non-Biodegradable Plastic Glitter Bill 2020

A
BILL
TO
To ban single-use, non-biodegradable plastic glitter

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Plastic glitter
(1) Plastic glitter may not be sold within the United Kingdom after the 6th April 2022.
(2) Plastic glitter may not be manufactured in the United Kingdom after the 1st April 2021.
(3) The importation of plastic glitter will be prohibited after the 1st April 2021, except;
(a) the transit of plastic glitter where the plastic glitter is in the UK for a time not exceeding 168 hours.
(4) this section does not apply to the manufacturing of plastic glitter for the purposes of fulfilment of orders places before the enactment date of this Act.

2 Offences
(1) Any person, person of control, body corporate, company and corporate entity commits an offence if they do anything in contravention to section1.
(2) An offence is a summary offence against the laws of England and Wales or a Hybrid offence against Scots law.
(3) Any person or person of control will be subject to a fine fine of up to £5,000 and/or six months' imprisonment.
(4) If there is an offence by a company or corporate entity, all persons of control shall be liable under 2(3).

3 Interpretations
(1) A 'company' and 'corporate entity' are defined the same as a company in section 1 of the Companies Act 2006.
(2) A 'body corporate' is defined the same way as in section 1173(1) of the Companies Act 2006.
(3) A 'person of control' is a either:
(a) a person of the body corporate, or;
(b) a person possessing the same control over the operations of a company that a director or Chief Executive Officer would have.
(4) 'Plastic glitter' is glitter manufactured from non-biodegradable materials.
(5) 'Non-biodegradable' is this Act is a material that can undergo the breakdown of its
monomers or polymers by biological processes, and can be full broken down into water, biomass and gasses within 10 years.

4 Extent, commencement and short title
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom
(2) This Act comes into force immediately
(3) This Act may be cited as the Glitter Act 2020

Notes
Plastic glitter frequently enters oceans and other water supplies. Unfortunately, due to its small size, it is very difficult and costly to filter out of water supplies. As a result, ocean life and other animals ingest the glitter and bioaccumulation of plastic has become a real issue. There is also no use for the glitter after use. If it could be filtered out, there is nothing it could be recycled into.

This bill bans the sale and manufacturing of plastic glitter. If people want glitter, they can use biodegradable glitter.
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye!

PS: the second reading of this will be the school uniform bill and this plastic bill will have its second reading in a larger bill to ban more single-use plastics that can't be recycled.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye! I see little reason to oppose this.
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A very sensible Bill, aye
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
B1619 – Non-Biodegradable Plastic Glitter Bill 2020, Miss Maddie MP

Non-Biodegradable Plastic Glitter Bill 2020

A
BILL
TO
To ban single-use, non-biodegradable plastic glitter
[field defaultattr=]
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Plastic glitter
(1) Plastic glitter may not be sold within the United Kingdom after the 6th April 2022.
(2) Plastic glitter may not be manufactured in the United Kingdom after the 1st April 2021.
(3) The importation of plastic glitter will be prohibited after the 1st April 2021, except;
(a) the transit of plastic glitter where the plastic glitter is in the UK for a time not exceeding 168 hours.
(4) this section does not apply to the manufacturing of plastic glitter for the purposes of fulfilment of orders places before the enactment date of this Act.

2 Offences
(1) Any person, person of control, body corporate, company and corporate entity commits an offence if they do anything in contravention to section1.
(2) An offence is a summary offence against the laws of England and Wales or a Hybrid offence against Scots law.
(3) Any person or person of control will be subject to a fine fine of up to £5,000 and/or six months' imprisonment.
(4) If there is an offence by a company or corporate entity, all persons of control shall be liable under 2(3).

3 Interpretations
(1) A 'company' and 'corporate entity' are defined the same as a company in section 1 of the Companies Act 2006.
(2) A 'body corporate' is defined the same way as in section 1173(1) of the Companies Act 2006.
(3) A 'person of control' is a either:
(a) a person of the body corporate, or;
(b) a person possessing the same control over the operations of a company that a director or Chief Executive Officer would have.
(4) 'Plastic glitter' is glitter manufactured from non-biodegradable materials.
(5) 'Non-biodegradable' is this Act is a material that can undergo the breakdown of its
monomers or polymers by biological processes, and can be full broken down into water, biomass and gasses within 10 years.

4 Extent, commencement and short title
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom
(2) This Act comes into force immediately
(3) This Act may be cited as the Glitter Act 2020

Notes
Plastic glitter frequently enters oceans and other water supplies. Unfortunately, due to its small size, it is very difficult and costly to filter out of water supplies. As a result, ocean life and other animals ingest the glitter and bioaccumulation of plastic has become a real issue. There is also no use for the glitter after use. If it could be filtered out, there is nothing it could be recycled into.

This bill bans the sale and manufacturing of plastic glitter. If people want glitter, they can use biodegradable glitter.[/field]
Aye. Glitter is just messy.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have one concern, actually. There are, presumably (fishing lures come to mind, maybe uses in chemical industry?), legitimate and sensible uses of glitter. I'd like to see a definition of glitter that makes it clear this doesn't apply to those types of glitter.
ibotu020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, a further step towards becoming a plastic free country and a environment conscious one as well
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
I have one concern, actually. There are, presumably (fishing lures come to mind, maybe uses in chemical industry?), legitimate and sensible uses of glitter. I'd like to see a definition of glitter that makes it clear this doesn't apply to those types of glitter.
Even with fishing lure I'd want it banned. Over time some of that glitter will break off and hurt the fish. Biodegradable glitter should last long enough for a lure. If it goes they buy a new lure.
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye.

”No generation has a freehold on this Earth. All we have is a lifetime tenancy - with a full repairing lease.” - Margaret Thatcher.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Even with fishing lure I'd want it banned. Over time some of that glitter will break off and hurt the fish. Biodegradable glitter should last long enough for a lure. If it goes they buy a new lure.
This bill seems a little extreme, then. Glitter is simply not dangerous in tiny quantities (like those you might get from a fishing lure), so banning those uses seems like overregulation.

Even if that weren't my opinion, I'd like to see a more specific definition of glitter. Sequin tops, for example - glitter or not?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The reality that plastic glitter does not provide much benefit to society to offset its environmental impact, so I support this.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This bill seems a little extreme, then. Glitter is simply not dangerous in tiny quantities (like those you might get from a fishing lure), so banning those uses seems like overregulation.

Even if that weren't my opinion, I'd like to see a more specific definition of glitter. Sequin tops, for example - glitter or not?
That's the problem! People use the line it's not harmful in large quantities and happily let it enter oceans. The same applies to other plastic, it's only a straw, a carrier bag, a bottle etc... It all adds up eventually.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's the problem! People use the line it's not harmful in large quantities and happily let it enter oceans. The same applies to other plastic, it's only a straw, a carrier bag, a bottle etc... It all adds up eventually.
Except that's not what I'm saying. There are only a few legitimate uses of glitter and I don't think any will involve dumping glitter into the oceans like a glitter bomb; they'll involve very small pieces of plastic being very slowly released into the environment (to an extent that it is genuinely not an environmental concern). By this reasoning, you should be banning plastic toothbrushes, synthetic clothing, and so on.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Except that's not what I'm saying. There are only a few legitimate uses of glitter and I don't think any will involve dumping glitter into the oceans like a glitter bomb; they'll involve very small pieces of plastic being very slowly released into the environment (to an extent that it is genuinely not an environmental concern). By this reasoning, you should be banning plastic toothbrushes, synthetic clothing, and so on.
Can you identify these genuine uses that need non-biodegradable glitter over biodegradable glitter?
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you identify these genuine uses that need non-biodegradable glitter over biodegradable glitter?
Fishing. Apparently, it takes about 4 weeks for biodegradable glitter to degrade in the environment. If you're using a fishing lure, it's going to be in the environment and therefore will take about 4 weeks to degrade (presumably it will lose proper function sooner than that). So you'd have to replace your lure every 4 weeks, which I can only imagine is not good for the environment.

I have very little knowledge of the sensible uses of glitter (I suspect the same is true of you), so I can't tell you about any others. I suspect they exist, though (especially with the rather non-specific definition you've used).
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Leaning towards an aye.
I suspect the debate to be had here is whether the punishment is appropriate for the offence.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I ****ing hate glitter so this is an easy aye.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is pretty inoffensive, aye.
Bailey14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye. Can’t really oppose this

Edit: Punishment is a bit much but still leaning for an Aye.
Last edited by Bailey14; 1 month ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.49%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (63)
18.69%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.67%

Watched Threads