Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I'm 18 and my parents wont get me a phone I don't have a phone I've asked my parents and they don't have money for it plus I cant work because I dint even have an NI number. What do I do? please help
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi I'm 18 and my parents wont get me a phone I don't have a phone I've asked my parents and they don't have money for it plus I cant work because I dint even have an NI number. What do I do? please help
why don't you have a NI number?
Anonymous #1
why don't you have a NI number?
dont have enouugh money to get one
Anonymous #1
My parents are jamaican , so very hard to convince
TheUltimateHulk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
An NI number just comes in the post right?
n0elle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i don't think you have to pay for a NI number?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by n0elle)
i don't think you have to pay for a NI number?
you do £45
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We certainly didn't pay for one for our daughter- it just arrived when she turned 16
username3399580
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
YOU DO NOT have to pay for a national insurance card it come to you directly from the government. Perhaps yours got lost in the post. Email the citizen's advice and ask for their help. No one is going to give you money on this site. You can apply for jobs online and you can get your NI number by getting in touch with citizens advice who will help you will all your problems and will even advise you on your current financial situation. Look also for a finacial charity near were you live and email them. For example in Govan Glasgow there is a charty called "Money Matters" who would help you you can always email them and ask them for the contact details of your nearest charity that can give money advice and help you get your NI number. You will never ever be asked to pay for an NI number here in the United Kingdom.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I don't know what you are expecting us to suggest here. How else can you get money apart from getting a job? Can your parents lend you the money to get your NI number, then you can pay them back when you are working?
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you do £45
who on earth told you this?
username3399580
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You might be entitled to universal credits especially since even though u might live at home you need money to keep yourself. so you should apply for that if you are not a fulll time student you will be entitled to it. If you are a student apply for a student loan.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
you do £45
There are certain types of casual job eg car washing, dog walking, tidying gardens (weeding, watering etc), picking up groceries that you could do for neighbours or people in your local area that do not require a NI number (as they would be on a casual, cash in hand basis). Even some paper rounds/ jobs in small shops or businesses may work this way. You could do this to earn the money you seem to think you need to get your NI number, then get a more formal job.
kieannaknight
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All i did was call 0300 200 3500 and sail that i recieve child tax and the send it to u .
username3399580
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know what you are expecting us to suggest here. How else can you get money apart from getting a job? Can your parents lend you the money to get your NI number, then you can pay them back when you are working?
NI card is free you do not have to pay for one
coco_loco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are a British citizen you will automatically get an NI number in the post when you turn 16. If you have lost the letter, you have to ring the government's helpline.

Here is the link to the uk govt website that tells you about NI numbers. If you are a foreign national then you might have to pay, I'm not sure.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
username3399580
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are certain types of casual job eg car washing, dog walking, tidying gardens (weeding, watering etc), picking up groceries that you could do for neighbours or people in your local area that do not require a NI number (as they would be on a casual, cash in hand basis). Even some paper rounds/ jobs in small shops or businesses may work this way. You could do this to earn the money you seem to think you need to get your NI number, then get a more formal job.
An NI card is free they just have to get in touch with citizens advice/local government advice centre
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daisyhiphop)
An NI card is free they just have to get in touch with citizens advice/local government advice centre
yes, that's what I thought originally but I started to question myself! Even if they did have to pay, what I suggested is a way around it. It could also help with bus fares to a Citizen's advice or if they have to pay their parents back for phone time.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can contact the National Insurance Number section directly at no cost.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
kieannaknight
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also just get a cheap small phone and a sim card then go libary and apply for jobs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise