The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Combined Honours SocSci 2021!! :)))

HI! I thought I would start this thread to see if anyone had applied for CHiSS and what they were taking!! I think it would be fun to get to know people already :smile: even tho i'm new to this site xo it'll be lovely to meet u all!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by augusttoowell
HI! I thought I would start this thread to see if anyone had applied for CHiSS and what they were taking!! I think it would be fun to get to know people already :smile: even tho i'm new to this site xo it'll be lovely to meet u all!

I should probably say I've applied for Oxford, Exeter, nottingham and York as well, and im gonna be doing geography/English with a bit of politics and sociology!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi! I’m 90% sure I’ll be applying for CHSS to do History, Politics and International Relations, although I have heard that I could apply to Liberal Arts to do that combo (reached out to Durham for confirmation that CHSS is the right one for me but I’ve yet to hear a response) so for now I’m going for CHSS.
I am also interested in doing some sociology and maybe a language :smile:
I’ve only recently decided on Durham, I was v outspokenly scared based on the rumours of racism and classism but I figured I shouldn’t let that stop me.
I’m also applying to Bristol, Exeter, Edinburgh and St Andrews. This is about the millionth time I’ve changed my mind on where I’m applying to so hopefully this 5 will stick!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by justjas33
Hi! I’m 90% sure I’ll be applying for CHSS to do History, Politics and International Relations, although I have heard that I could apply to Liberal Arts to do that combo (reached out to Durham for confirmation that CHSS is the right one for me but I’ve yet to hear a response) so for now I’m going for CHSS.
I am also interested in doing some sociology and maybe a language :smile:
I’ve only recently decided on Durham, I was v outspokenly scared based on the rumours of racism and classism but I figured I shouldn’t let that stop me.
I’m also applying to Bristol, Exeter, Edinburgh and St Andrews. This is about the millionth time I’ve changed my mind on where I’m applying to so hopefully this 5 will stick!

HI!!!
Omg same!! I was really worried, Idk if you saw the lads gc scandals that happened on tiktok but I was really put off :// but ive spoke to a lot of people and its like my no 1 choice now!

Which college are you looking at? St Chads and John Snow look like the most wholesome and inclusive to me, as well as having a good group :smile: I really wanna get put with a great group of ppl you know!! SO excited ahhh

Ty for replying!!
HI!!!
Omg same!! I was really worried, Idk if you saw the lads gc scandals that happened on tiktok but I was really put off :// but ive spoke to a lot of people and its like my no 1 choice now!

Which college are you looking at? St Chads and John Snow look like the most wholesome and inclusive to me, as well as having a good group :smile: I really wanna get put with a great group of ppl you know!! SO excited ahhh

Ty for replying!!

I was put off for the exact same reasons!! And because of Durham’s lowkey shocking lack of diversity....even Oxbridge are much more ethnically diverse imo!! But I still really wanna go, plus my History teacher really wants me to go lol.

I haven’t looked into the colleges in depth yet but atm I’m considering South College (just for the modern accommodation and guaranteed en-suite really hehe), St Mary’s, St Chads and Josephine Butler :smile: ooh I agree! St Chads seems really lovely, v inclusive like u said and a nice lil community, something ik I’ll definitely need!

When are you thinking of sending off ur application? I’m hoping for the 23rd Oct (set myself a deadline lol) but my college are v unpredictable when it comes to efficiency :/

Ahh np!!
I was put off for the exact same reasons!! And because of Durham’s lowkey shocking lack of diversity....even Oxbridge are much more ethnically diverse imo!! But I still really wanna go, plus my History teacher really wants me to go lol.

I haven’t looked into the colleges in depth yet but atm I’m considering South College (just for the modern accommodation and guaranteed en-suite really hehe), St Mary’s, St Chads and Josephine Butler :smile: ooh I agree! St Chads seems really lovely, v inclusive like u said and a nice lil community, something ik I’ll definitely need!

When are you thinking of sending off ur application? I’m hoping for the 23rd Oct (set myself a deadline lol) but my college are v unpredictable when it comes to efficiency :/

Ahh np!!

Yep I know exactly what you mean... it’s so hard as well especially as we haven’t even got to look round irl bc of miss rona :/ hopefully I’ll be able to look at my five over winter!!

I’m applying for oxford, and as I decided last ninjutsu I wanted to apply to there I’m gonna be doing it tommorow aha (Oct 15)

But good luck!!! If u want dm me ur insta or smth :smile:)
Yep I know exactly what you mean... it’s so hard as well especially as we haven’t even got to look round irl bc of miss rona :/ hopefully I’ll be able to look at my five over winter!!

I’m applying for oxford, and as I decided last ninjutsu I wanted to apply to there I’m gonna be doing it tommorow aha (Oct 15)

But good luck!!! If u want dm me ur insta or smth :smile:)

Oml literally!! I was relying so much on open days to get a feel of the places I’m applying to, online open days are great but most definitely not the same :frown:

Oohh go you!! Ah yes it’s the 15th tomorrow, it’s gonna be a tight squeeze. I’ll have my fingers crossed for u🤞🏾

Ah I actually deleted insta the other day oof. I have Twitter tho? :smile:
Oml literally!! I was relying so much on open days to get a feel of the places I’m applying to, online open days are great but most definitely not the same :frown:

Oohh go you!! Ah yes it’s the 15th tomorrow, it’s gonna be a tight squeeze. I’ll have my fingers crossed for u🤞🏾

Ah I actually deleted insta the other day oof. I have Twitter tho? :smile:

Ikr!! So like, I loveeeeedddd York, but did I just like York bc it had an actually decent open day? Honestly it’s a hot mess....

Ty! I’m paying and sending tonight, then my school is sending off tommorow ahhh!!!

Sure!! My twitter user is the same as my user on this :smile:, dm me when u follow me! Ur account might get spammed with political and Stan twitter stuff tho, but it’ll sure it’s a price worth paying hehe xo
Ikr!! So like, I loveeeeedddd York, but did I just like York bc it had an actually decent open day? Honestly it’s a hot mess....

Ty! I’m paying and sending tonight, then my school is sending off tommorow ahhh!!!

Sure!! My twitter user is the same as my user on this :smile:, dm me when u follow me! Ur account might get spammed with political and Stan twitter stuff tho, but it’ll sure it’s a price worth paying hehe xo

Dude why are we literally the same - I felt the exact same about York!! And I was put off applying to Edinburgh for like 3 weeks just because the open day was just a PowerPoint with a Q&A at the end lol

ahhh mad good luck!! I’ve thought about uni and my application for so long it’s lowkey insane that I’d also kinda forgotten that I’m actually gonna have to send it off oof.

Ooh awesome! Oh dw, mine’s practically the same :biggrin:
Dude why are we literally the same - I felt the exact same about York!! And I was put off applying to Edinburgh for like 3 weeks just because the open day was just a PowerPoint with a Q&A at the end lol

ahhh mad good luck!! I’ve thought about uni and my application for so long it’s lowkey insane that I’d also kinda forgotten that I’m actually gonna have to send it off oof.

Ooh awesome! Oh dw, mine’s practically the same :biggrin:

Omg no way aha, that's probs the reason I didn't apply to Edinburgh or Glasgow! Not to mention they're just so so sooooo far away!!! I wouldn't wanna miss home that much

I have like, bad anxiety, so ive been having a breakdown over the past two months act it lol!!! Thinking act the future is really scary in general, esp when it involves big decisions like these :///... I basically just ignored the fact I had to apply as I decided against oxbridge, then got it all done super quickly when I decided for it!

thx for the follow!!
Omg no way aha, that's probs the reason I didn't apply to Edinburgh or Glasgow! Not to mention they're just so so sooooo far away!!! I wouldn't wanna miss home that much

I have like, bad anxiety, so ive been having a breakdown over the past two months act it lol!!! Thinking act the future is really scary in general, esp when it involves big decisions like these :///... I basically just ignored the fact I had to apply as I decided against oxbridge, then got it all done super quickly when I decided for it!

thx for the follow!!

Yeahh I get that!! The distance freaks me out too :frown: I live in bham so Edinburgh is a good 5hrs away! My mum is more nervous about it than i am and I’m still kinda surprised that that was even possible. Stuff like this always hits me closer to when it actually happens, by August next yr I’ll be panicking 24/7 and I’ll have to be talked down from rejecting my place in uni numerous times for sure👀😅

Ahh man I 100% feel you, anxiety can alwaysss scramble ur brain esp when it comes to life decisions like uni :// I’m glad it ultimately didn’t stop you from applying to Oxford though because I’m sure you most definitely have the capabilities to get in! You’re on the path to being an Oxford scholar now hehe :smile:
Yeahh I get that!! The distance freaks me out too :frown: I live in bham so Edinburgh is a good 5hrs away! My mum is more nervous about it than i am and I’m still kinda surprised that that was even possible. Stuff like this always hits me closer to when it actually happens, by August next yr I’ll be panicking 24/7 and I’ll have to be talked down from rejecting my place in uni numerous times for sure👀😅

Ahh man I 100% feel you, anxiety can alwaysss scramble ur brain esp when it comes to life decisions like uni :// I’m glad it ultimately didn’t stop you from applying to Oxford though because I’m sure you most definitely have the capabilities to get in! You’re on the path to being an Oxford scholar now hehe :smile:

Omg no way!!! I have a bunch of friends from Birmingham, I wonder if u know them lol!! And saME my mum did NOT want me going to St Andrews bc of the 11 hour drive and first of all I was like no its fine... then I considered living that far away and got scared lol 😂 so its England only for me.... even if York and durham are miles away :frown:

I think now that i've applied and like all my choices (oh yeah!! I ac applied todAY AHHHHHH) I'm super positive about it - Ik ill be happy at all my choices, I just have to think positively lol... And idk if Oxford is for me!! If I get accepted ill probably not even accept the offer which sounds insane of me to say but idk if its for me know? but its defo defo worth a shot!! Don't want to close any doors and end up regretting my decision bc I was scared or unsure about my own capabilities, if I reject it I want it to be bc I think ive found somewhere else I know ill be happiest :smile:
Omg no way!!! I have a bunch of friends from Birmingham, I wonder if u know them lol!! And saME my mum did NOT want me going to St Andrews bc of the 11 hour drive and first of all I was like no its fine... then I considered living that far away and got scared lol 😂 so its England only for me.... even if York and durham are miles away :frown:

I think now that i've applied and like all my choices (oh yeah!! I ac applied todAY AHHHHHH) I'm super positive about it - Ik ill be happy at all my choices, I just have to think positively lol... And idk if Oxford is for me!! If I get accepted ill probably not even accept the offer which sounds insane of me to say but idk if its for me know? but its defo defo worth a shot!! Don't want to close any doors and end up regretting my decision bc I was scared or unsure about my own capabilities, if I reject it I want it to be bc I think ive found somewhere else I know ill be happiest :smile:

Oh cool!! Maybe, Birmingham is quite big but kinda small at the same time lol
Awh yeah, it’s a tricky one:frown: I figured I’d regret it if I didn’t apply as that was the only thing stopping me and hey, I might not even get a place😅

Oml yes!! I’m nervous for you oml, I hope the offers start rolling in ASAP :smile: I’m glad ur feeling positive about it tho! Now the endless checking of emails shall commence👀
That’s not insane at all - it’s well than within your right to reject Oxford if you get an offer as after all you’ll be the person studying and living there for 3 years!! you’ve got to be sure that it’s somewhere you’ll be happy and comfortable like you said (Though I lowkey kinda hope we both end up at Durham hehe)
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh cool!! Maybe, Birmingham is quite big but kinda small at the same time lol
Awh yeah, it’s a tricky one:frown: I figured I’d regret it if I didn’t apply as that was the only thing stopping me and hey, I might not even get a place😅

Oml yes!! I’m nervous for you oml, I hope the offers start rolling in ASAP :smile: I’m glad ur feeling positive about it tho! Now the endless checking of emails shall commence👀
That’s not insane at all - it’s well than within your right to reject Oxford if you get an offer as after all you’ll be the person studying and living there for 3 years!! you’ve got to be sure that it’s somewhere you’ll be happy and comfortable like you said (Though I lowkey kinda hope we both end up at Durham hehe)

Yesssss exactly!!! And aww tysm!! I’m so nervous but like excitedddddd ahhhhhhh - already checked my mail like four times today already so totally!!

And ty!! I’m like 70% sure I’ll go w Durham, and it’s super comforting to know that I’ll hopefully already have a friend there! I’m sure we’ll be besties in no time :wink: xo so I’m hoping u pick Durham as well!! Maybe I’ll see u if we look around irl? X
Yesssss exactly!!! And aww tysm!! I’m so nervous but like excitedddddd ahhhhhhh - already checked my mail like four times today already so totally!!

And ty!! I’m like 70% sure I’ll go w Durham, and it’s super comforting to know that I’ll hopefully already have a friend there! I’m sure we’ll be besties in no time :wink: xo so I’m hoping u pick Durham as well!! Maybe I’ll see u if we look around irl? X

awhh i bet!!
hehe same!! I feel like I’m like 80% I’ll totally go there will all of my 5 choices which if the ideal situation occurs where I get offers from all 5 I’ll have a v difficult decision on my hands🤣 yes!! xxx
Oohh hopefully, I was thinking of going this October half term actually but that’s sadly not happening now :frown:
awhh i bet!!
hehe same!! I feel like I’m like 80% I’ll totally go there will all of my 5 choices which if the ideal situation occurs where I get offers from all 5 I’ll have a v difficult decision on my hands🤣 yes!! xxx
Oohh hopefully, I was thinking of going this October half term actually but that’s sadly not happening now :frown:

Honestly you sound like you’ve totally got it!!! I believe in youuuuuu!! And like, I think that’s a nice decision to have to make, but it’s a long way a way! I can just pretend I don’t have to worry abt it till then 😌😌😌
Honestly you sound like you’ve totally got it!!! I believe in youuuuuu!! And like, I think that’s a nice decision to have to make, but it’s a long way a way! I can just pretend I don’t have to worry abt it till then 😌😌😌

Awh thank you sm :smile: ahah yes!! Fingers crossed I can get my application in next week and forget about it afterwards🤞🏾 xxx
Awh thank you sm :smile: ahah yes!! Fingers crossed I can get my application in next week and forget about it afterwards🤞🏾 xxx

Good luck!! If u want any personal statement feedback lmk!! I'm just writing my Durham specific statement rn eeeep ofc I left it to the last minute!!!

Its so cool to already know someone who's applying tho omg girl I am sooooo relieved ahahah!! Hopefully some more ppl reply and we could make a lil gc or smth ((((:
Good luck!! If u want any personal statement feedback lmk!! I'm just writing my Durham specific statement rn eeeep ofc I left it to the last minute!!!

Its so cool to already know someone who's applying tho omg girl I am sooooo relieved ahahah!! Hopefully some more ppl reply and we could make a lil gc or smth ((((:

Ty will do!! Bit nervous today as today’s the day I’m gonna get everything sorted with my college lol, they’re lovely but v inefficient oof.
Oohh good luck with it!

Dude literally same! And I saw u on the Exeter forum - I’m applying there too :smile:
Fingers crossed, it would be so so nice if we formed a lil group🥰
Ty will do!! Bit nervous today as today’s the day I’m gonna get everything sorted with my college lol, they’re lovely but v inefficient oof.
Oohh good luck with it!

Dude literally same! And I saw u on the Exeter forum - I’m applying there too :smile:
Fingers crossed, it would be so so nice if we formed a lil group🥰

omg I saw you there too lol!!! Honestly I've seen you everywhere ahahah!! My sixth form managed to get it all done super fast somehow, we love me last minute applying!:biggrin:

Which college have u decided on at Durham! I'm not saying u should pick John Snow but u should totalllllyyyyyy pick John Snow sis

And omg ikr!! Fromm what I saw on the Durham open day things, combined honours seems to have suchhhhh a great lil community so I can't wait!! Not to mention we get to know even more people as we take multiple subjects (((:

Quick Reply

Latest