The Student Room Group

is doing a language a-level not good enough?

Hi guys I am currently doing biology, psychology and planning to do italian a-level. Is this combo good enough??

thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjjjxxx
Hi guys I am currently doing biology, psychology and planning to do italian a-level. Is this combo good enough??

thank you

I take geography, economics and french and language a levels are very highly regarded by unis if that helps!
Reply 2
As in opening doors for future? I want to do a course at uni which only requires one science subject with a B, but I'm just worrying that they will be put off by seeing a language a-level and consider it as an 'easy pass'
Reply 3
Original post by katie4484
I take geography, economics and french and language a levels are very highly regarded by unis if that helps!

oh really? thank you so much!! I've just been worrying if they get put off me doing my native language as an a-level:s-smilie:(italian)
Reply 4
Original post by jjjjxxx
As in opening doors for future? I want to do a course at uni which only requires one science subject with a B, but I'm just worrying that they will be put off by seeing a language a-level and consider it as an 'easy pass'

I think it hugely depends on what you want to do at uni.
If you know your want to do a Science based degree, then taking a second science or maths at a level would likely be the most beneficial.
It's unlikely that they would look at a language as an 'easy pass'.
Original post by jjjjxxx

A language A-level is not an "easy pass" however if it is your native language then you might want to consider taking a different language if possible or subject because in that case it may be seen as an easy pass. But, which ever subject you choose (unless it's something like critical thinking) won't really affect your future if you only need the one science which you have.
Reply 6
Original post by L-K
I think it hugely depends on what you want to do at uni.
If you know your want to do a Science based degree, then taking a second science or maths at a level would likely be the most beneficial.
It's unlikely that they would look at a language as an 'easy pass'.

my degree is more of healthcare based. And thanks for the reassurance!! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by jjjjxxx
oh really? thank you so much!! I've just been worrying if they get put off me doing my native language as an a-level:s-smilie:(italian)

If it is your native language then I would advise taking it as a 4th A level if you really want to do it.
Original post by jjjjxxx

An A-Level in a language is not an easy pass! The jump between GCSE and AS level is not that big but the jump between AS and A-level is massive. Do not be fooled into thinking it will be easy because you sailed through GCSE.
Reply 9
Original post by Incede
A language A-level is not an "easy pass" however if it is your native language then you might want to consider taking a different language if possible or subject because in that case it may be seen as an easy pass. But, which ever subject you choose (unless it's something like critical thinking) won't really affect your future if you only need the one science which you have.

When I say native I don't literally mean it- Like I've lived there over a certain amount of time but I wasn't born there or anything. However my passport and nationality is from there:frown: And it's been around 7 years I've moved to England so I practically kind of forgot the language...
Reply 10
Original post by jjjjxxx
my degree is more of healthcare based. And thanks for the reassurance!! :smile:

You should probably consider Biology and Chemistry then. Many healthcare related courses actually prefer Chemistry over biology.
It's a good idea to check uni websites for specific requirements.
Reply 11
When I say native I don't literally mean it- Like I've lived there over a certain amount of time but I wasn't born there or anything. However my passport and nationality is from there:frown: And it's been around 7 years I've moved to England so I practically kind of forgot the language...

Original post by L-K
If it is your native language then I would advise taking it as a 4th A level if you really want to do it.
Reply 12
Thank you!!
Reply 13
Original post by jjjjxxx

Even so. If I was looking at your application I would see it as you taking the easy option, others may not agree with me.
Original post by jjjjxxx

Hmm, I don't know if that would be clear to universities? Are you sure there are no other subjects you want to try? The obvious ones are chemistry or maths but any subject would do.
Reply 15
Original post by L-K
You should probably consider Biology and Chemistry then. Many healthcare related courses actually prefer Chemistry over biology.
It's a good idea to check uni websites for specific requirements.

I want to radiography and it requires one a-level from maths,physics,chem or bio. I think I'll do better in bio so i have picked that, and the other 2 subjects they don't really mind, so just not sure about the language one!
Original post by jjjjxxx

That does change things a bit. Some universities will not accept a native language as a third A-level (I know you say it's not your native language but since you have an Italian passport, it will be seen that way). Perhaps enquire directly with the unis you want to apply to to see if they would count? Probably safer to consider doing it as a 4th A-level though.
Reply 17
Original post by Incede
Hmm, I don't know if that would be clear to universities? Are you sure there are no other subjects you want to try? The obvious ones are chemistry or maths but any subject would do.

Baically I did chemistry in year 12 because I wanted to do medicine. However I changed my mind on that, and im not doing very well in chem. So I recently thought that i could do a language a level which is still hard but I won't struggle as much as chem. And I don't need chem as I already have bio and the uni wants only one science subject.
Reply 18
Original post by black tea
That does change things a bit. Some universities will not accept a native language as a third A-level (I know you say it's not your native language but since you have an Italian passport, it will be seen that way). Perhaps enquire directly with the unis you want to apply to to see if they would count? Probably safer to consider doing it as a 4th A-level though.

Oh that's true, I'll just call the unis and ask then. Thank you!!
Original post by jjjjxxx
Baically I did chemistry in year 12 because I wanted to do medicine. However I changed my mind on that, and im not doing very well in chem. So I recently thought that i could do a language a level which is still hard but I won't struggle as much as chem. And I don't need chem as I already have bio and the uni wants only one science subject.

Fair enough. Personally, I wouldn't risk taking Italian but it's up to you, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest