A level Biology, Chemistry and Business

Watch
Rohan007best
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I am struggling a lot with A-level biology i started it like 4 weeks ago and am I dying. Am I meant to memorise everything now or is there time and also anyone have any tips on bio. Same for chem and business but there slightly easier for me but I would still appreciate tips.
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm not smart enough to do those subjects so props to you for taking them on👍.
My friends feel the same way about biology and chemistry, trust me, you will get used to it.
I think it's best to go over everything you've done so far so that you can continue onto the next chapter.
So once you've had a biology lesson, you can come back home and try and understand everything you did in the lesson. To make sure that you've genuinely understood the content, you can try and explain to yourself what you did in the lesson without using any resources apart from your brain.
This is a tip that my tutor, who happens to be a biology teacher, told me for revision.

I think these can work with all of your subjects. If this doesn't work for you, that's completely fine but just try and find a technique that will help you before it's too late.

I think you'll do well in your A-levels and I think you'll succeed. I hope you get into the university/apprenticeship you'd like to go to.🤞✌ Have a nice life m8😀
Migukslwo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Okay what i will say is that i was in the same exact position as you last year. You can definitely make it through these subjects!! I do chemistry and biology too and I know the concepts are hard to understand at first, what I would advise is you start memorising your content via active recall. Do little and often and you should be good. If you struggle to understand (me all the time) firstly ask your teachers and if they can't explain it well just try and use youtube videos. For me personally tailored tutors for biology and Allery chemistry helped a lot. Try to understand the content you learn sooner because thats a regret that I have. Make a low yield revision time table now, I have one but i would advise not to do it by time but by topic that you need to haave made flashcards for and done some exam questions within a week. For Business I don't take it so I don't have much say as I only did it for GCSE and now do History, but in terms of essays, do the same learn the content via active recall but instead of doing exam questions I would plan 2-4 essays a week and maybe write up 1 of them. If someone actually made me do all of this at the start of year 12 I would be in a better position than i am in now, but I managed to raise my predicted to A*AA (take this from someone who got D&C's in my first mocks) but I ended up getting ABB chem,bio,hist for my AS levels. Im sorry if this answer was quite muddled!! But i do hope you found this somewhat useful ggd luck!
Rohan007best
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Migukslwo)
Okay what i will say is that i was in the same exact position as you last year. You can definitely make it through these subjects!! I do chemistry and biology too and I know the concepts are hard to understand at first, what I would advise is you start memorising your content via active recall. Do little and often and you should be good. If you struggle to understand (me all the time) firstly ask your teachers and if they can't explain it well just try and use youtube videos. For me personally tailored tutors for biology and Allery chemistry helped a lot. Try to understand the content you learn sooner because thats a regret that I have. Make a low yield revision time table now, I have one but i would advise not to do it by time but by topic that you need to haave made flashcards for and done some exam questions within a week. For Business I don't take it so I don't have much say as I only did it for GCSE and now do History, but in terms of essays, do the same learn the content via active recall but instead of doing exam questions I would plan 2-4 essays a week and maybe write up 1 of them. If someone actually made me do all of this at the start of year 12 I would be in a better position than i am in now, but I managed to raise my predicted to A*AA (take this from someone who got D&C's in my first mocks) but I ended up getting ABB chem,bio,hist for my AS levels. Im sorry if this answer was quite muddled!! But i do hope you found this somewhat useful ggd luck!
this helped alot thnx for the advice
Pengwyn<3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don't take chemistry but I do take Biology, Business (+history) & in order to understand Biology better I have self-studied some Chemistry & Physics. Like you I did struggle at first but later I found I understood better with visuals—specifically videos like Khan Academy (+their end of topic questions) & FuseSchool (https://www.youtube.com/c/fuseschool — they have Chemisty, Biology, Physics & Maths but take care to learn information relevant to your specification).
Like previous post, active recall + essay writing does help.

For Business there is Tutor2U who have abundant resources for GCSE + A level for Edexcel, OCR, WJEC (and more). There's also TwoTeachers who have free videos & resources on their website & Youtube channel with the same name.
If you do Edexcel, do keep in mind WJEC has a similar specification & therefore similar past exam papers.

Hope this helps
Rohan007best
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Pengwyn<3)
I don't take chemistry but I do take Biology, Business (+history) & in order to understand Biology better I have self-studied some Chemistry & Physics. Like you I did struggle at first but later I found I understood better with visuals—specifically videos like Khan Academy (+their end of topic questions) & FuseSchool (https://www.youtube.com/c/fuseschool — they have Chemisty, Biology, Physics & Maths but take care to learn information relevant to your specification).
Like previous post, active recall + essay writing does help.

For Business there is Tutor2U who have abundant resources for GCSE + A level for Edexcel, OCR, WJEC (and more). There's also TwoTeachers who have free videos & resources on their website & Youtube channel with the same name.
If you do Edexcel, do keep in mind WJEC has a similar specification & therefore similar past exam papers.

Hope this helps
Thank you
Pengwyn<3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Rohan007best)
Thank you
this is a free biology resource I found yesterday for biology. I've gone through enough & it's concise & well explained. It's a *bit* higher than A2 (steps go in more detail in-between A level & degree otherwise fine if you know what you need to learn—ask a teacher or check the specification) but it's a good resource to check out for AS too. Again, check your specification to know which of what you are required to learn:
https://openstax.org/details/books/biology-2e
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads