The Student Room Group

Oriental studies - oxford

I haven't found any threads under oriental studies for 2021 admissions. I'm hoping to study Chinese at St John's.
Has anyone studied Chinese GCSE/ALevel prior to applying for this course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm applying to Hertford for Chinese... I have studied a Chinese Pre-U (equivalent to an a-level).... However, this isn't required at all so don't worry! As long as you're passionate about Chinese, I'm sure that's more what they're looking for! Very few schools teach Chinese :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by en1gma
Hi, I'm applying to Hertford for Chinese... I have studied a Chinese Pre-U (equivalent to an a-level).... However, this isn't required at all so don't worry! As long as you're passionate about Chinese, I'm sure that's more what they're looking for! Very few schools teach Chinese :smile:

Have you heard if you have an interview? I'm still waiting... I have done a GCSE and got an 8 but unfortunately not ALevel as tutoring is soo expensive
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by b0ngle
Have you heard if you have an interview? I'm still waiting... I have done a GCSE and got an 8 but unfortunately not ALevel as tutoring is soo expensive

No I haven't received anything from Hertford yet! still waiting.... I did a GCSE as well was an A* when I did it due to the syllabus change! I was lucky my school taught Pre-U Chinese :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by en1gma
No I haven't received anything from Hertford yet! still waiting.... I did a GCSE as well was an A* when I did it due to the syllabus change! I was lucky my school taught Pre-U Chinese :smile:

I hope we hear soon, even if its rejection I just want to know now haha not long till interviews either. Yeah you're very lucky!! no schools near me do Chinese, I had to teach myself.
Reply 5
Original post by b0ngle
I hope we hear soon, even if its rejection I just want to know now haha not long till interviews either. Yeah you're very lucky!! no schools near me do Chinese, I had to teach myself.

Same! Waiting is the worst part :/ the fact that you've attempted to teach yourself such a difficult language is super impressive so good luck x
Reply 6
Original post by en1gma
Same! Waiting is the worst part :/ the fact that you've attempted to teach yourself such a difficult language is super impressive so good luck x

Have you heard? I received an invitation yesterday at around midday. I am very happy
Reply 7
Original post by b0ngle
Have you heard? I received an invitation yesterday at around midday. I am very happy

Congrats that's great!! Best of the luck with the interview :smile: and no still haven't heard anything... just checked Hertford's website and they still havent released interviews for oriental studies... What sort of preparation/reading have you been doing for the interview?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by en1gma
Congrats that's great!! Best of the luck with the interview :smile: and no still haven't heard anything... just checked Hertford's website and they still havent released interviews for oriental studies... What sort of preparation/reading have you been doing for the interview?

just got the email! I've got an interview too x
Hey guys,
I have applied for religion and oriental studies at LMH (Arabic as the language), Just wondering what kind of prep people are doing for the interviews? I'm not sure what to do for the oriental studies side of things
thanks and well done for getting interviews :smile:
Applying for AMES chinese at Cambridge but this is still an interesting thread
Reply 11
Original post by Milastric
Hey guys,
I have applied for religion and oriental studies at LMH (Arabic as the language), Just wondering what kind of prep people are doing for the interviews? I'm not sure what to do for the oriental studies side of things
thanks and well done for getting interviews :smile:

i've been reading around Chinese history, culture and literature as much as possible and practising thinking out loud so I can explain my thoughts clearly and eloquently in the interview. Have you received an invite to interview or still waiting?
Tbf I think preparing for this interview is pretty hard 😂😂like there’s so many aspects to look into - current political stuff along with its 20th century politics, and much more. I am down to participate in discussions and have actually received an interview at Cambridge
Original post by en1gma
i've been reading around Chinese history, culture and literature as much as possible and practising thinking out loud so I can explain my thoughts clearly and eloquently in the interview. Have you received an invite to interview or still waiting?

I got my invitation yesterday! Pretty excited but just feeling nervous that I don't know enough about middle Eastern culture and don't want to embarrass myself, anyway I think I'll do a bit more of what you are doing and practise speaking more out loud
Original post by remeight
Tbf I think preparing for this interview is pretty hard 😂😂like there’s so many aspects to look into - current political stuff along with its 20th century politics, and much more. I am down to participate in discussions and have actually received an interview at Cambridge

It's good to have a few 'unique' things you know something about, just so you stay in the interviewers brain.
A teacher of mine said to keep reading news of the country you plan to study in case you are asked about current events etc. And China does indeed have a much longer and more detailed recorded history than some other countries, so it's probably okay if you gloss over a little :wink:

The problem with the more niche subjects is the lack of people to talk about them with.
Good luck to everyone here :smile:
I received an email for interview as midnight, applying for Chinese. I haven't had any experience with it before so I'm very nervous.
This interview is with the faculty of oriental studies, I was wondering do we get another separate interview with our specific college?
Reply 16
Original post by Good_egg
Good luck to everyone here :smile:
I received an email for interview as midnight, applying for Chinese. I haven't had any experience with it before so I'm very nervous.
This interview is with the faculty of oriental studies, I was wondering do we get another separate interview with our specific college?

Yes you should do, I haven't yet heard which day my college interview will be but the faculty one is on Tuesday at 11. Which college have you applied to? Good luck to you as well!! My teachers were telling me it's not about what we know already, mostly how we respond to questions and whether the tutorial style of teaching is good for us.
Original post by b0ngle
Yes you should do, I haven't yet heard which day my college interview will be but the faculty one is on Tuesday at 11. Which college have you applied to? Good luck to you as well!! My teachers were telling me it's not about what we know already, mostly how we respond to questions and whether the tutorial style of teaching is good for us.

Ahh thank you, I applied to St Annes. You?
I'll have to read up my statement and written pieces again
Reply 18
Original post by Good_egg
Ahh thank you, I applied to St Annes. You?
I'll have to read up my statement and written pieces again

St John's. Have you applied elsewhere? I've been accepted to Liverpool to study Chinese and International Relations but I haven't yet heard from SOAS but many people have. I don't think I'd like to live in London anyway haha too hectic for me.
Original post by b0ngle
St John's. Have you applied elsewhere? I've been accepted to Liverpool to study Chinese and International Relations but I haven't yet heard from SOAS but many people have. I don't think I'd like to live in London anyway haha too hectic for me.

I've heard from Cardiff for Chinese there. I don't think I could handle London, but I have QMUL as a back up

This may be a stupid question but are we meant to send an email response to the interview, I clicked yes to attend. And to add onto my first question, do we get the college interview after this one?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending