BigFawn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I study Maths, Chemistry and Geology, my plan was originally to study chemical engineering however I've been swayed off after doing more research into it. Can I still study computer science despite the fact I did not choose it as an A level and have little to know prior knowledge, I did computer science at GCSE but its all a it of a blur. Are apprenticeships also out the window considering I have no knowledge on computer science ?
Ahnaful
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BigFawn)
I study Maths, Chemistry and Geology, my plan was originally to study chemical engineering however I've been swayed off after doing more research into it. Can I still study computer science despite the fact I did not choose it as an A level and have little to know prior knowledge, I did computer science at GCSE but its all a it of a blur. Are apprenticeships also out the window considering I have no knowledge on computer science ?
Hi, you should check with the universities if you can choose computer science as your major with your subjects. Many universities don't require you to have computer science as an A level subject but some universities require you to have physics as an A level subject (I don't know why Physics is needed for CS). If you look at the University of Toronto for instance, they require a minimum of 4 subjects at AS and 3 at A level, physics and maths is required and chemistry is recommended but if you don't do chemistry you need to have one another subject at A level.
So to answer your question in short check the uni requirements.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I study Maths, Chemistry and Geology, my plan was originally to study chemical engineering however I've been swayed off after doing more research into it. Can I still study computer science despite the fact I did not choose it as an A level and have little to know prior knowledge
Yes, you can, but you need to be able to demonstrate an interest in CS. Doing your own programming projects is a cheap and easy way.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Most undergrad CS courses don't need you to have taken it at A-Level, (Maths is often a requirement, so you are fine there).

As above, you need to demonstrate an interest and suitability for the subject in your PS. Fortunately there's a lot of resources online, so you should be looking at things like programming challenges/tasks as well as lectures.
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As mentioned above, it's pretty uncommon for universities to require previous study in CompSci, since it simply isn't available to everyone before degree level. As a result, you absolutely can study CompSci at uni, or go onto an apprenticeship if you can find one that suits you.

However I would strongly consider why you want to study it. If you have little to no prior knowledge, what's made you suddenly want to study it? How do you it's even right for you if you don't have much experience? I'd look at answering these questions first before jumping into something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (287)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.27%

Watched Threads