MahiPatel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
My school has asked me to be part of the brilliant club (the scholar's programme) and I'm not sure if it is worth doing.
alexchivers77
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What are the benefits?? If there more benefits that outweigh the effort you're putting in I say go for it!
apolaroidofus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi - I did it in year 7. It terms of personal growth and development, absolutely; it taught me how to reference, how to research for an extended essay and how to structure one too. I still put it on my CV (I'm in year 11 now) but you can't really mention it on a UCAS application unless the course you do links to the degree you want to do and you've done it recently (eg I want to do maths at uni, so my year 7 philosophy brilliant club experience is a bit irrelevant, but if I did a more mathematical one in year 10 it might be worth mentioning), and it does take up a lot of time going to tutorials and doing the set tasks. If you're in a year where workload isn't massive I'd say go for it - I did really enjoy it and it's fun going to the universities at the beginning and end! Hope this helps
MahiPatel
Rep:
?
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
Hi - I did it in year 7. It terms of personal growth and development, absolutely; it taught me how to reference, how to research for an extended essay and how to structure one too. I still put it on my CV (I'm in year 11 now) but you can't really mention it on a UCAS application unless the course you do links to the degree you want to do and you've done it recently (eg I want to do maths at uni, so my year 7 philosophy brilliant club experience is a bit irrelevant, but if I did a more mathematical one in year 10 it might be worth mentioning), and it does take up a lot of time going to tutorials and doing the set tasks. If you're in a year where workload isn't massive I'd say go for it - I did really enjoy it and it's fun going to the universities at the beginning and end! Hope this helps
Hi, thanks for your response. I'm in year 12 at the moment so maybe this isn't the best year to be involved in the Brilliant club.
apolaroidofus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MahiPatel)
Hi, thanks for your response. I'm in year 12 at the moment so maybe this isn't the best year to be involved in the Brilliant club.
I mean it isn't year 13? What subject is the programme on and what are you thinking of doing at uni?
MahiPatel
Rep:
?
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
I mean it isn't year 13? What subject is the programme on and what are you thinking of doing at uni?
I'm not sure what the programme is on. I might do something like chemistry in uni. I've decided not to do the brilliant club. Wish I knew about it in year 7 though, it would've been more fun as I would've had a lot of spare time.
Adise_oslo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I’ve also been asked to do the brilliant club this year . I am in year 8 and debated it at first but my parents told me it would be a good opportunity. Obviously this year it was different due to COVID and it was all done through live calls. The topic was terrorism something in which I had no knowledge or interest in. They expect you to write an essay at the end which being totally honest since I had to do it in the half term before going back to school full time for the first time after lockdown between that and catching up on work it put a lot of stress on me. I still have not even began to write the essay since the calls were very confusing and I’m still not at all confident on the topic. In my opinion it taught me no new skills and although it may be a good opportunity nether the less it is extremely stressful and hard working and you do have to have the time and mindset to be happy to write an essay in your own time on a topic you have not had much info on you must also have to be prepared to read three books each 100 pages and do your own research and notes all in your own time. Honestly I really do regret taking part it was such a waste of time I did not benefit from it in any way and instead I was Behiend on lessons in school which were far more important so from my experience I do not recommend but if you feel like you are happy to do all those things I have listed and it is something you enjoy I say go for it !
MahiPatel
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Adise_oslo)
Hi I’ve also been asked to do the brilliant club this year . I am in year 8 and debated it at first but my parents told me it would be a good opportunity. Obviously this year it was different due to COVID and it was all done through live calls. The topic was terrorism something in which I had no knowledge or interest in. They expect you to write an essay at the end which being totally honest since I had to do it in the half term before going back to school full time for the first time after lockdown between that and catching up on work it put a lot of stress on me. I still have not even began to write the essay since the calls were very confusing and I’m still not at all confident on the topic. In my opinion it taught me no new skills and although it may be a good opportunity nether the less it is extremely stressful and hard working and you do have to have the time and mindset to be happy to write an essay in your own time on a topic you have not had much info on you must also have to be prepared to read three books each 100 pages and do your own research and notes all in your own time. Honestly I really do regret taking part it was such a waste of time I did not benefit from it in any way and instead I was Behiend on lessons in school which were far more important so from my experience I do not recommend but if you feel like you are happy to do all those things I have listed and it is something you enjoy I say go for it !
Hey thanks for your comment. Yh I decided not to do it because year 12 is already stressful enough 😂. I hope you have caught up with your studies. Try to relax as well because trust me GCSE and A Levels will come so soon that you will miss the free time you had in ks3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (172)
41.85%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.84%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads