lnat test went awful, is uni out the window?

Watch
Sh0ts1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi all
was just wanting some reassurance or guidance as to how universities weight the LNAT on the application. I'm applying to Oxford LSE UCL KCL and Warwick . the rest of my application I feel (and hope) is good , I have 2 work experiences an additional courses and super curriculars related to law and predicted 3 A*s at alevel, but I know for a fact my LNAT today went absolutely awful and given that four of my five universities are lnat requiring uni's, it has me rather stressed out as to whether I will get an offer this year . I was just wondering if anybody has any insight into how much waiting important the aforementioned universities give this MCQ score in their application process, and whether my chances are greatly reduced due to a low score in the MCQ. Perhaps most ideally if anybody has any anecdotal stories of applicants getting low MCQ scores but still getting an offer due to other good application components.
I have done my research and ik most unis say its used "hollistically" but was wanting first or second hand accounts of people who have actually gone thru this process- if possible. thank you
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sh0ts1)
hi all
was just wanting some reassurance or guidance as to how universities weight the LNAT on the application. I'm applying to Oxford LSE UCL KCL and Warwick . the rest of my application I feel (and hope) is good , I have 2 work experiences an additional courses and super curriculars related to law and predicted 3 A*s at alevel, but I know for a fact my LNAT today went absolutely awful and given that four of my five universities are lnat requiring uni's, it has me rather stressed out as to whether I will get an offer this year . I was just wondering if anybody has any insight into how much waiting important the aforementioned universities give this MCQ score in their application process, and whether my chances are greatly reduced due to a low score in the MCQ. Perhaps most ideally if anybody has any anecdotal stories of applicants getting low MCQ scores but still getting an offer due to other good application components.
I have done my research and ik most unis say its used "hollistically" but was wanting first or second hand accounts of people who have actually gone thru this process- if possible. thank you
This is copied and pasted from another post I made about the LNAT:

The average MCQ score varies from year to year. There is no official pass mark although as a guide, the average score in the 2018/19 cycle was 23 and in the 2019/20 cycle it was 21.5. However, many successful applicants scored lower than this at less competive unis like Glasgow, while most successful applicants to the more competive unis like LSE and Oxford scored higher (26 and 29 respectively in 2019). Nottingham is the only uni to have a cut off point below which people will be automatically rejected for Law which in 2019/20 was 21. Along with Kings, however, Nottingham seemed to give out a lot of alternative offers to otherwise strong candidates who got an LNAT score of 20 or below.

You will see from this that even if your MCQ score is as low as you fear, there is no automatic cut off point at any of your 4 LNAT unis so they will consider your whole application. Also, Kings made a lot of alternative offers to strong candidates who scored below 20 last year, for subjects such as History, Politics etc so this could be an option. Even if your MCQ score is below 20, therefore (and it may well be higher) you are still likely to get some kind of offer from Kings and a Law offer from Warwick if your A*A*A* predictions seem realistic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (34)
33.01%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.71%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.8%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed