The Student Room Group

Female pattern hair loss

I've been losing my hair severely over the last few years and tried everything i can to prevent or improve it. I've mentioned it to GPs like three times and not been given anything for it, only been sent off to do something different each time. Blood tests and STI tests which didn't lead to anything. One GP didn't even take it seriously and didn't address it at all.

I'm getting impatient as its getting worse and really traumatising for me.
I can't go out anymore without spending a lot of time covering it up with scalp colourant makeup. but even then my hair is very thin. It's affecting my mental health so much. I'm only 23 and can't even attract guys for casual sex anymore because i look so awful like this.
Hi,
Have you tried natural remedies?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm only 23 and can't even attract guys for casual sex anymore

This is your main concern, seriously?!

I would go back to the GP and ask if there are any more tests that can be done or if they can suggest any treatments. I get phases when my hair falls out a lot and I find that vitamins designed to strengthen hair (e.g. Perfectil; though many places have similar formulations at a lower price) help - I usually notice a difference in about 4 weeks.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea

I would go back to the GP and ask if there are any more tests that can be done or if they can suggest any treatments. I get phases when my hair falls out a lot and I find that vitamins designed to strengthen hair (e.g. Perfectil; though many places have similar formulations at a lower price) help - I usually notice a difference in about 4 weeks.

Yes, the personal difficulty around hair loss is mostly cosmetic and linked to attractiveness. That is, if its genetic pattern baldness (and not a serious illness) which is probably my case since father and aunt have it severely.
They've done all the tests they can, i pressed them for all possible options.. my health is generally good.
I have started some good hair supplements for a month now which is making all my other hair grow a lot but the thin scalp hair is the same.

Did this happen to you during periods of stress or bad health or something else?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea

Also i didn't mean that casual sex is the ultimate goal, but that serious interest from guys has been hopeless and if they had much lower standards for casual sex i don't even seem to meet that
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, the personal difficulty around hair loss is mostly cosmetic and linked to attractiveness. That is, if its genetic pattern baldness (and not a serious illness) which is probably my case since father and aunt have it severely.
They've done all the tests they can, i pressed them for all possible options.. my health is generally good.
I have started some good hair supplements for a month now which is making all my other hair grow a lot but the thin scalp hair is the same.

Did this happen to you during periods of stress or bad health or something else?

I have PCOS so mine is probably related to that, plus in the past I had periods when my diet wasn't the most balanced and that definitely made it worse. Can't say I've noticed any obvious link with stress.

Quick Reply

Latest