The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Will I be able to get into computer science at Durham with these grade?

I want to study computer science at Durham University but believe my gcse grade are not good enough to get in
I got a 6 in biology, 5 in business,6 in chemistry, 3 in engineering, 4 in English lit and lang, 5 in geography, 7 in maths, 4 in physics and a 3 in Spanish.
Reply 1
Original post by Loganwilliams
I want to study computer science at Durham University but believe my gcse grade are not good enough to get in
I got a 6 in biology, 5 in business,6 in chemistry, 3 in engineering, 4 in English lit and lang, 5 in geography, 7 in maths, 4 in physics and a 3 in Spanish.

Hey,

I'm a recent Durham BSc Computer Science graduate. Although your GCSE grades aren't competitive, you did well in Maths, which matters the most here. Although it would have been nice if you did well in Engineering and Physics too, but you can't do anything about that now. However, what you can change is your A level performance. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the new A level system, but if you get predicted A*AA (which I believe are the req for this year) and demonstrate strong mathematical ability at A level, then you should hopefully get an offer.

Durham expanded it's Computer Science department this year. So it's expected that more students are given offers. Let's hope they are generous this year.

Best of luck!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi River7,

Well done on graduating from Durham. I was wondering what the workload is like for computer science, how many hours a day is spent total studying (including lectures and practicals etc)?
Reply 3
Original post by BlueApple123
Hi River7,

Well done on graduating from Durham. I was wondering what the workload is like for computer science, how many hours a day is spent total studying (including lectures and practicals etc)?

Hi,

The total number of hours of lectures and practicals is around 20-25 a week. This number then decreases each year e.g. 17-20 in year 2 then 12-15 in year 3 (depending on what modules you choose) - due to the increasing number of coursework & thesis. The workload is quite heavy in year 2 and 3 (year 1 is heavy if you haven't studied Computer Science before). You'll have coursework throughout the year as well as exams in June. So you'll always have deadlines to meet, unlike other subjects. The number of hours you put into each coursework is of course dependent on your academic ability. Each piece of coursework takes around 15-20 hours to do (the ones in year 2 & 3). So on average, you could spend 35 - 50 hours a week of total study. But ofcourse this is heavily dependent on your ability.

The course has changed a lot in the last few years, but what I said above should remain consistent.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending