AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,
I hope you are doing well.
I just wanted to ask, what is the best advice you can give me for GCSE English Language in your own experiences and opinions?

Out of the 4 exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC Edquas) I previously did Edexcel and am now doing AQA, but feel free to tell me your experiences and opinions regardless of exam boards!
Feel free to tell me any particular websites, videos, YouTube channels, worksheets, past papers, textbooks, revision guides and workbooks by particular publishers, etc. that has really helped you in your GCSE English Language exam.

Looking forward to hear your suggestions 😊
Last edited by AchyutChaudhary; 1 month ago
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i did the aqa exam board; i used cgp revision guides and mrbruff videos to make notes on questions, and then did lots of practice questions and i came out with an 8. practice and past papers are pretty much the only way you can revise for english lang so do as many as you can.
i believe seneca also has some stuff on english language?
shortgirl96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello

This applies irregardless of exam board. Make some brief summary notes on the set coursework texts. Read the poems and books etc very carefully. Circle or highlight key information in blue. Use a revision guide and tackle old past papers too. Buy some flashcards and write out a exam question or key word or definition on one side and then scribble the right answer down on the back of the card.

Listen to the class teacher. Note the number of marks for each question and then plan your written response accordingly. If it is a question with a lot of marks to be awarded do not just write one paragraph, this is not recommended at all. Best wishes. Read beyond the lines and deduce any hidden meaning of set poems or plays that you have to analyse and compare. Discuss the poems and plays with your friends and family members. All above do not stress. Easier said then done I know.

Jot down themes on a piece of paper.
emmaaact
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So for me,

Quesion 1 - select statements which are true, this should be relatively simple and try to not overthink it, if you see it in the text then it's probably correct don't try and infer too much.

Question 2 - writing a summary used to really confused me and I would always try to bring in techniques and my own views, but you don't do this. You should use evidence fro the text in the form of short quotes. The question will have a focus for you to base your summary on, pay attention to this as it will help you to skim read looking for main points. Aim to spend around 8-10 mins on this question.

Question 3 - is basically the same as question 2 on the lang paper 1, talking about how the writer uses language. Use quotes, language features and effect on the reader here.

Question 4 - comparisons, find similarities and differences within the two texts, and bring in structural features and langauge features, combine everything together here.

Question 5 - you need to commnunicate, clearly but also imaginatively, just because it is non fiction doesn't mean you shouldn't explore metaphors similies and creative ideas. Use extensive vocab, and vary your structure include some short sentences, one sentence paragraphs, a wide range of punctuation to control the reading of the text.

I really hope this was helpful just a brief overview of each question for language paper 2
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a general list of tips

Make sure that you understand what to do. Pay attention to the wording of the question and the number of marks. Make notes. Use flashcards to help you to revise as well. When quoting, only use evidence to support your responses to each question. Practice answering exam questions too and read beyond the lines. Be aware of the time. Above all, focus on producing a decent satisfactory answer every time. There are tons of good resources online, google. You can find old practice papers on the exam board websites, print them off. And relax. Try your best nothing more nothing less. Best of wishes.
username5417586
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
past paperssss + cgp revision guide :borat:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (106)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (49)
13.07%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.4%
No - I live at home during term anyway (110)
29.33%

Watched Threads