The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help

Can you write about the same skill twice? If I say I developed my communication skills in chemistry through practicals can I also talk about how I developed the skill in my work experience placement (at a school)?

It would be repetitive but it was developed in different ways.
No. Always focus on a different skill for each paragraph. Here are some more examples of skills- teamwork, listening skills, data analysis, communication, adaptability, numeracy, literacy and people skills. All are good skills that everyone must have in order to succeed at work. Also a excellent telephone manner is essential for any sales careers. Consider your personal qualities too.

Talk about how the skill helped you to succeed at work. Give examples. Back them up.
Original post by Meggggggggggg
Can you write about the same skill twice? If I say I developed my communication skills in chemistry through practicals can I also talk about how I developed the skill in my work experience placement (at a school)?

It would be repetitive but it was developed in different ways.

As above, try to talk about as many skills as possible, so don't repeat. I wouldn't necessarily put chemistry lessons as an example of building communication skills, try to talk more about works experience placements building those skills so you can emphasise your initiative to arrange those kinds of things (and not just do your school work)
Can anyone help explain how critical thinking or communication skills are relevant into a chemistry degree? (as in where they will be used)
And also, what skills are shown in chemistry lessons other than problem solving?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Meggggggggggg
Can anyone help explain how critical thinking or communication skills are relevant into a chemistry degree? (as in where they will be used)
And also, what skills are shown in chemistry lessons other than problem solving?

Hey @Meggggggggggg So fab you're thinking about studying Chemistry!! Exciting industry to join :dance:

Critical thinking comes in to play in lots of elements of Chemistry. For certain professions you might have to be able to look at what you've done (e.g. in a lab) and think about what this means, and what the implications of your work can be. As a Chemistry graduate, you'll be able to competently carry out experiments and know how they link to the 'bigger picture' - such as medicine developments, forensic science, product development etc. Chemistry turns itself to so many different industries that it's always a benefit to be able to think quickly and rationally. Communication skills are important in terms of working with your team in labs where procedures are under time pressure, other branches of the business (reports of any findings I'd imagine will be very important!), as well as externally (again, being able to explain the implications of your work). These are just a couple of examples of how critical thinking and communication skills are relevant... there are certainly loads of other ways you'll see them being used :closedeyes:

When it comes to your Chemistry lessons- you'll be gaining organisational, team working and communication skills I'd imagine. You should be able to think of examples of times where you've been able to show these I'm sure :yep:

Remember your Personal Statement is all your own work, so while you can use some of the things I've said for some inspiration be sure to show your own insight and research in to the area :biggrin:

Hope some of this helps! Have you thought of where you'd like to study yet? All of our Chemistry degrees have a compulsory placement year in them which is great for when you go to work and already have some experience :smile: Let me know if I can help with anything.

Good luck!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
You only need one example for each skill, but you don't need to talk about these sorts of skills for an academic course (whereas you do for vocational courses, like medicine and teaching)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending