Arakha
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm going into 6th form next year and i would like to apply to various places e.g. ST Dom's, Dr Challoner's, St Mark's, Cherwell school (even Henrietta Barnet maybe) etc. However, I'm not sure what extra/further things I could do to increase my chances of being given a place in these 6th forms. Does anyone have any advice?
sixthformapp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hey i am applying to henrietta too xx i think just get all 9s have fab extra curriculars !
shortgirl96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Visit the local sixth forms at the high schools in town. Ask questions and meet staff and students. Read all the career literature which is sent out and also make some brief notes too. Good luck to you. What are your predicted grades?
Christian29
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Don’t sweat over it spud as long as you get b or whatever the equivalent is over all you’ll ace it. I got into my sixth form with 3bs and the rest all c grades.
umair288
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Arakha)
I'm going into 6th form next year and i would like to apply to various places e.g. ST Dom's, Dr Challoner's, St Mark's, Cherwell school (even Henrietta Barnet maybe) etc. However, I'm not sure what extra/further things I could do to increase my chances of being given a place in these 6th forms. Does anyone have any advice?
Hi! I am currently studying at Dr Challoners and I would just like to let you know that extracurricular activities don't affect whether or not you get in. Challoner's only accepts people with the top grades and if you get the grades you're pretty much guaranteed to get in. I believe you need all 8's minimum
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by sixthformapp)
hey i am applying to henrietta too xx i think just get all 9s have fab extra curriculars !
Hey
My grades aren’t all 9s so I’ll need to get my revision game up, how do you personally revise/ do well in exams? And by extra curriculars, could u give me some good examples because I’m not sure where to start ! x
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by umair288)
Hi! I am currently studying at Dr Challoners and I would just like to let you know that extracurricular activities don't affect whether or not you get in. Challoner's only accepts people with the top grades and if you get the grades you're pretty much guaranteed to get in. I believe you need all 8's minimum
Hey, thanks for the help!
Do you think it’s still possible to change my predicted grades before my GCSES? I’ll give you more precise numbers when I access my predicted grades but I think most of them are 7/8/9 :/
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Christian29)
Don’t sweat over it spud as long as you get b or whatever the equivalent is over all you’ll ace it. I got into my sixth form with 3bs and the rest all c grades.
Thanks a lot I’m just lost on where to start because I know I should’ve done this preparation earlier, but I was only aware of these schools a few days ago when I began to do my own research lol
Just out of curiosity, what subjects did you chose to study ?
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by shortgirl96)
Visit the local sixth forms at the high schools in town. Ask questions and meet staff and students. Read all the career literature which is sent out and also make some brief notes too. Good luck to you. What are your predicted grades?
Thanks for replying !
Where could i access the career literature, is it different for every 6th form?
My predicted grades are worse than I last remember lol: 8,8,6,6,7,8,8,7,8,7
I’m sure they aren’t enough for a school like Henrietta but do u think I still have time to change them before my exams?
sixthformapp
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey
My grades aren’t all 9s so I’ll need to get my revision game up, how do you personally revise/ do well in exams? And by extra curriculars, could u give me some good examples because I’m not sure where to start ! x
Hey dont worry at all as long as by the end of ur mocks u get a good set of 8s plus im sure you’ll be fine !! Personally i use three sources of revision for each subject . The peqrson Edexcel higher workbooks , physics maths tutor detailed noted and questions as well as doing the questions in the textbook whilst making notes if ygm ? Xx feel free to pm me if u need any more details !! When i say extra curriculars i mean making sure you have something that stand out from the crowd for example a sport than is very unique or a leadership role etc . Eg i am a figure skater which i chose as its a very unusual thing to have xx cose something which will make ppl remember you !! Spr try for the long msg haha
Christian29
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks a lot I’m just lost on where to start because I know I should’ve done this preparation earlier, but I was only aware of these schools a few days ago when I began to do my own research lol
Just out of curiosity, what subjects did you chose to study ?
Honestly I did A level history and BTEC science and now I’m second year at uni so I didn’t do terrible in the end. Ideally you just need to scrap into sixth form but from then on you’ll need to try hard as this will determine unis, apprenticeships etc.
Arakha
Rep:
?
Hey dont worry at all as long as by the end of ur mocks u get a good set of 8s plus im sure you’ll be fine !! Personally i use three sources of revision for each subject . The peqrson Edexcel higher workbooks , physics maths tutor detailed noted and questions as well as doing the questions in the textbook whilst making notes if ygm ? Xx feel free to pm me if u need any more details !! When i say extra curriculars i mean making sure you have something that stand out from the crowd for example a sport than is very unique or a leadership role etc . Eg i am a figure skater which i chose as its a very unusual thing to have xx cose something which will make ppl remember you !! Spr try for the long msg haha
Okay, that’s my new goal now Thanks for the tips for revising, especially for maths !!

As for the extra curricular activities, I play netball for (i think) a prestigious netball club and by the time we start school next year I will be preparing for grade 6 piano- but maybe that isn’t unique or special enough:/ what do you think?

I’m not sure how to fully use this app because I only got it like last week so I’m not sure what “pm”ing is but I’ll try to work it out😂 Lol noo, thank your for all the details!
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Christian29)
Honestly I did A level history and BTEC science and now I’m second year at uni so I didn’t do terrible in the end. Ideally you just need to scrap into sixth form but from then on you’ll need to try hard as this will determine unis, apprenticeships etc.
Thank u for all your help Good luck in your studies!
noturhabibti
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
i have friends applying to dr challoner's, trick is to have lots of extra-curriculars (playing instruments, sports etc) and match your predicted grades to the requirements page on their website. hope this helps!
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by noturhabibti)
i have friends applying to dr challoner's, trick is to have lots of extra-curriculars (playing instruments, sports etc) and match your predicted grades to the requirements page on their website. hope this helps!
Thank you for the help!!
sixthformapp
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Okay, that’s my new goal now Thanks for the tips for revising, especially for maths !!

As for the extra curricular activities, I play netball for (i think) a prestigious netball club and by the time we start school next year I will be preparing for grade 6 piano- but maybe that isn’t unique or special enough:/ what do you think?

I’m not sure how to fully use this app because I only got it like last week so I’m not sure what “pm”ing is but I’ll try to work it out😂 Lol noo, thank your for all the details!
Wow grade 6 piano is very good !! If u play netball at a high level that is unique as long as its at a competition level which shows dedication.when i say unique i mean something which makes you shine as a person academically or extracurricular wise xx
Arakha
Rep:
?
Wow grade 6 piano is very good !! If u play netball at a high level that is unique as long as its at a competition level which shows dedication.when i say unique i mean something which makes you shine as a person academically or extracurricular wise xx
Okay I think I got it thank u so much! Good luck in your application
joonigigi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Do you know when the HBS application forms are opening? They said after half term and they haven't opened them yet...
Arakha
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by joonigigi)
Do you know when the HBS application forms are opening? They said after half term and they haven't opened them yet...
Really sorry for the late reply! I was able to apply, there is an application form on the website (you can find it in the year 12 admissions section) !
joonigigi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Really sorry for the late reply! I was able to apply, there is an application form on the website (you can find it in the year 12 admissions section) !
Ah dw abt it! I applied about 3 weeks ago now haha I found the link! Do you know when they're giving out conditional offers?? I'm just dying of the suspense... I assume it's gonna be some time in the spring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.21%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.03%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
23.9%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.18%

Watched Threads