Relative Atomic Mass - general question

Watch
NaBrO
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If all relative atomic masses are relative to 1/12 of an atom of Carbon-12, does that mean that their relative atomic mass isn't their true mass? If so, how do we find the true mass?
lordaxil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NaBrO)
If all relative atomic masses are relative to 1/12 of an atom of Carbon-12, does that mean that their relative atomic mass isn't their true mass? If so, how do we find the true mass?
What do you mean by "true mass"?

In the end, all masses, and indeed all physical units, have to have a base definition or be measured relative to some standard. Up until recently, the kilogram was defined with reference to a bar of platinum-iridium sitting in a vault in Paris. It's now defined in terms of the second and the metre, based on fixed fundamental constants of nature.

My point is that all masses are relative in the end, and so don't worry too much that atomic weights use a relative scale. There is no other way.
NaBrO
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by lordaxil)
What do you mean by "true mass"?

In the end, all masses, and indeed all physical units, have to have a base definition or be measured relative to some standard. Up until recently, the kilogram was defined with reference to a bar of platinum-iridium sitting in a vault in Paris. It's now defined in terms of the second and the metre, based on fixed fundamental constants of nature.

My point is that all masses are relative in the end, and so don't worry too much that atomic weights use a relative scale. There is no other way.
I see... thank you
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NaBrO)
You can find the "true" mass of any isotope (in grams) by dividing the relative mass of the isotope by Avogadro's number.

Hence, one atom of 12C has a mass of 1.9926 x 10-23 g
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (92)
57.86%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.32%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.58%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (11)
6.92%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.66%

Watched Threads