The Student Room Group

failed A levels 2020

I failed 2020 , got ADE , French, Psychology and Law in that order. I got a D in psychology but I was bad at it so Im not surprised but my law teacher is straight up evil and predicted me an E when I was getting C's. I didnt appeal as I am planning to re sit 2021 and get all A*'s like I did in GCSE's. I havent done any revision so far and I just am stuck at home ,watching netflix. I feel unmotivated and I cant concentrate. How to get an A* for my subjects?

Scroll to see replies

What can I do to get all A*'s in summer 2021 exams? What kind of music improves concentration?
how can I apply for university? please help anyone
1) Work hard & have a plan

2) I find music with bass or sharp lyrics too distracting to study, maybe something calm at a modest volume

3) through UCAS
Original post by Failure123666
I failed 2020 , got ADE , French, Psychology and Law in that order. I got a D in psychology but I was bad at it so Im not surprised but my law teacher is straight up evil and predicted me an E when I was getting C's. I didnt appeal as I am planning to re sit 2021 and get all A*'s like I did in GCSE's. I havent done any revision so far and I just am stuck at home ,watching netflix. I feel unmotivated and I cant concentrate. How to get an A* for my subjects?

Put on some concentration music perhaps from youtube and get your head down studying. My brother even used to take his revision cards and revision when we went out in order to get the most study in- and he got all A*s. Maybe also do whatever you did in GCSE to achieve that again. Apply for uni through UCAS, it doesn't matter what the grades are really, it just matters about the entry requirements so I'm sure you'll be fine.
Original post by mnot
1) Work hard & have a plan

2) I find music with bass or sharp lyrics too distracting to study, maybe something calm at a modest volume

3) through UCAS

how though? please I need specific advice .. do I do notes or mind maps ??How can I memorise fast? Also I have sh1tty teacher grades so I cant apply through UCAS
Original post by lucyjane1233
Put on some concentration music perhaps from youtube and get your head down studying. My brother even used to take his revision cards and revision when we went out in order to get the most study in- and he got all A*s. Maybe also do whatever you did in GCSE to achieve that again. Apply for uni through UCAS, it doesn't matter what the grades are really, it just matters about the entry requirements so I'm sure you'll be fine.

GCSEs are easy but A levels are different though, did your brother re-sit or pass first time?
how though? please I need specific advice .. do I do notes or mind maps ??How can I memorise fast? Also I have sh1tty teacher grades so I cant apply through UCAS

You need to find what works for you.
I used to do wrote learning followed by working through practice questions & an insane amount of past papers worked for me (without formula sheets for past papers at the end if possible, I think the lack of formula sheet helped me learn to see through problems in sciences), but everyone needs their own strategy.

For undergrad in the UK you need to use UCAS.
hey, i just wanted to say i totally feel you. i need to re sit (or rather, sit) my a-levels in summer 2021 as my appeal got rejected (totally unfair) but i feel so demotivated, ive just been spending all my time on instagram feeling like ****
i didnt revise during the entire duration of lockdown + summer, so i have to now try and remember the entirety of bio and chem a-level after having not thought about it for 6 whole months
this year has truly wrecked my plans
i guess my advice is to pace yourself and try to do 2 hours a day and build up the hours over the next month- do specimen and practise papers but start off reading and re-learning the content
good luck!

p.s i got mainly 9s in my GCSES but A-levels are no comparison, so dont be hard on yourself
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnot
You need to find what works for you.
I used to do wrote learning followed by working through practice questions & an insane amount of past papers worked for me (without formula sheets for past papers at the end if possible, I think the lack of formula sheet helped me learn to see through problems in sciences), but everyone needs their own strategy.

For undergrad in the UK you need to use UCAS.

thank you for the tips:smile:

I had sh1tty grades and still applied through UCAS
Original post by onedance1
hey, i just wanted to say i totally feel you. i need to re sit (or rather, sit) my a-levels in summer 2021 as my appeal got rejected (totally unfair) but i feel so demotivated, ive just been spending all my time on instagram feeling like ****
i didnt revise during the entire duration of lockdown + summer, so i have to now try and remember the entirety of bio and chem a-level after having not thought about it for 6 whole months
this year has truly wrecked my plans
i guess my advice is to pace yourself and try to do 2 hours a day and build up the hours over the next month- do specimen and practise papers but start off reading and re-learning the content
good luck!

p.s i got mainly 9s in my GCSES but A-levels are no comparison, so dont be hard on yourself

thank you , I hope things go well for you. Honestly some people got to get A's this year when they did no exams just because of nice teachers. Did your teachers predict you low grades for A levels 2020?
GCSEs are easy but A levels are different though, did your brother re-sit or pass first time?

My brother passed first time
I had sh1tty grades and still applied through UCAS

which university is going to accept ADE? I want to go to a Russell group so I need minimum AAB
which university is going to accept ADE? I want to go to a Russell group so I need minimum AAB

Oh okay yeah you’re right, you just need to up your grades a bit more or retake if you need to
Oh okay yeah you’re right, you just need to up your grades a bit more or retake if you need to

yeah I am , I just mean I will have to apply through clearing as I have no decent grades to submit to UCAS
thank you , I hope things go well for you. Honestly some people got to get A's this year when they did no exams just because of nice teachers. Did your teachers predict you low grades for A levels 2020?

yep, it's infuriating, and we were all given low grades to prop up the minority A* students to ensure they received their A grades, which is SO unfair.
yep, it's infuriating, and we were all given low grades to prop up the minority A* students to ensure they received their A grades, which is SO unfair.

yeah I know, how did you do? what did you get?

honestly Im like so unlucky I was the only one who failed looooool
Reply 19
What can I do to get all A*'s in summer 2021 exams? What kind of music improves concentration?

Imo just do small bits, go over one chapter a day or something. Also personally, no music unless you practicing questions or something.

Quick Reply

Latest