The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science w Artificial Intelligence - Uni of York

Hi Folks,
I wonder if anyone studying the Online MSc Computer Science w Artificial Intelligence with Uni of York can share your experience? Anything I may need to be aware of before I take this course?
Much appreciate your real life experience sharing ... 🙂🙇🏻*♂️

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Check out this thread...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5801788

The AI path at York is new. The different paths are very similar, so most of what is in the thread will be relevant.
Original post by MTBlue
Hi Folks,
I wonder if anyone studying the Online MSc Computer Science w Artificial Intelligence with Uni of York can share your experience? Anything I may need to be aware of before I take this course?
Much appreciate your real life experience sharing ... 🙂🙇🏻*♂️

The Online MSc Computer Science w Artificial Intelligence is the exact same course as the MSc Computer Science however there is 1 module different, see the link in the other reply to see how bad the course is.

They also haven't actually created the AI module for that course yet, they tend to start making the modules a few weeks before they are due to begin. Sometimes they delay releasing the second half of the module as they haven't finished it yet. This is one of the reasons why the modules are such low quality.
Reply 3
I may have to seriously consider not to accept the offer.

Any better online master degree on AI or Data Science programme available pls?
University of Bath have an online MSc in AI...
https://online.bath.ac.uk/online-courses/msc-artificial-intelligence

I don't know if it's better than York. It sounds good from the information in this webinar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDN7hO97vX8&feature=emb_err_woyt
Reply 5
Hi @ancient_queen , thanks.

I think I should take the York offer.
Original post by MTBlue
Hi @ancient_queen , thanks.

I think I should take the York offer.

What are your reasons for doing the degree?
Reply 7
Original post by nbhgdt1234
What are your reasons for doing the degree?

I want to switch career to DC and AI area.
Original post by MTBlue
I want to switch career to DC and AI area.

Go with Bath or another option, York has 2 AI modules (one not even created yet). They just added it to get more people to enroll thinking it was an AI degree.
Reply 9
Original post by nbhgdt1234
Go with Bath or another option, York has 2 AI modules (one not even created yet). They just added it to get more people to enroll thinking it was an AI degree.

Thanks mate, How about Uni Liverpool? Any news about their AI or DS online course?
Thanks
Reply 10
York has intake this November. Thinking of ... I don’t have to wait for 3 months joining other Uni courses starting next January or later next year.
Hi guys. If I am switching to CS with AI from a non mathematical degree/background. Shouldnt I just go with York? It starts sooner, is cheaper, and I'm sure I can fill in all the gaps online in coursera udacity etc....?
Original post by whatsyerpoison1
Hi guys. If I am switching to CS with AI from a non mathematical degree/background. Shouldnt I just go with York? It starts sooner, is cheaper, and I'm sure I can fill in all the gaps online in coursera udacity etc....?

The York course is terrible, theres a large thread about it.
Reply 13
For anyone who is thinking about this, as a current York student, run, don't walk away. Seriously, don't do it. It's the worst course I've ever seen. They don't use lectures, it's just reading from a text book with 1min videos a few times a week. The AI aspect is a joke. As said above, they just added it to the name while changing ONE module. There is virtually no coding outside the first 3 weeks. You will graduate almost unemployable. Look at the syllabus. It's 10 unrelated topics so you end up knowing a little theory in everything and how to do precisely nothing. They had a group of 100 students lodge a formal complaint some months back. They basically just said this is how we teach and ignored it. The spend a lot on marketing so get a few hundred new students every module and have no incentive to change with all the money coming in. Somewhere around a half of those realize how terrible it is and drop out. The others either don't want to accept a sunk cost or just aimlessly hope for a job at the end of it. I can't emphasis this enough, it's the worst course I've ever seen and wish someone had told me this before I started. I'm leaving after this module and just accepted the wasted money rather than continuing to invest more in a useless degree.
Original post by MTBlue
York has intake this November. Thinking of ... I don’t have to wait for 3 months joining other Uni courses starting next January or later next year.

Did you enroll? how was it?
Thinking of applying for this too! How as it??
Check this out if you're willing to go for a non UK university

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-of-science-data-science-boulder
Reply 17
I'm doing the Online MSc Computer Science w Artificial Intelligence and it is TERRRIBLE compared to the online ML courses at Imperial, Columbia and Emeritus, which are far superior and I personally enjoyed much more and found far more practical in the real world. My personal reason:1) York just gives you a text book and brief examples to read. Which is very theoretical and painful to read and hard to connect to real world problems and data.2) Other universities are a lot more practical with real world problems and challenges to solve using ML in Python. 3) There's little to no videos and no recorded lectures with York just a text book reading list. In the end you are paying to read a text book and for someone to grade your exam. 4) Other online University courses have recorded lectures and tutorials to help you understand the problem and solve solutions as oppose to just read a text book. They even have weekly live tutorial classes to help you work through examples with a group. York just asks you to save files to the portal which someone reviews with a written feedback, which is a much poorer experience. 5) In the end you just end up watching YouTube videos to understand and pass the course as the material and feedback is just terrible. 6) The only reason why I chose to do York was because I wanted to do a CS degree after completing the ML/AI short courses/diploma from other universities and now I know why York is so cheap!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ddd_ddd
I'm doing the Online MSc Computer Science w Artificial Intelligence and it is TERRRIBLE compared to the online ML courses at Imperial, Columbia and Emeritus, which are far superior and I personally enjoyed much more and found far more practical in the real world. My personal reason:1) York just gives you a text book and brief examples to read. Which is very theoretical and painful to read and hard to connect to real world problems and data.2) Other universities are a lot more practical with real world problems and challenges to solve using ML in Python. 3) There's little to no videos and no recorded lectures with York just a text book reading list. In the end you are paying to read a text book and for someone to grade your exam. 4) Other online University courses have recorded lectures and tutorials to help you understand the problem and solve solutions as oppose to just read a text book. They even have weekly live tutorial classes to help you work through examples with a group. York just asks you to save files to the portal which someone reviews with a written feedback, which is a much poorer experience. 5) In the end you just end up watching YouTube videos to understand and pass the course as the material and feedback is just terrible. 6) The only reason why I chose to do York was because I wanted to do a CS degree after completing the ML/AI short courses/diploma from other universities and now I know why York is so cheap!

Hi, how are things with the course now, I’m about to lodge a complaint of the terrible tutor support and marking which is beyond belief
Original post by Stevetrev
Hi, how are things with the course now, I’m about to lodge a complaint of the terrible tutor support and marking which is beyond belief

It's offical the University of York has been reviewed by the OIAHE and is compensating students for the poor quality in the following courses:

MSc Computer Science Online
MSc Computer Science and Cyber Security Online
MSc Computer Science and Data Analytics Online

Key failings highlighted by the OIAHE in Feb 2022

4.1 The University decided not to uphold the Group’s complaint about the
marketing of the programme. Our view is that some aspects of the marketing
information provided to applicants were not clear and unambiguous.
4.2 We think that the staffing levels on the programme did not meet the reasonable
expectations of the students. The University did not properly investigate the
Group’s concerns about the impact of staffing levels on the quality of the
student experience. We think that staffing pressures affected the students’
experience.
4.3 The Group raised concerns about the quality of modules on the programme.
The University has acknowledged these issues and has taken (or is taking)
steps to address these issues. However, we are not satisfied that the
University’s complaint process acknowledged the cumulative impact of these
issues on the overall student experience.
4.4 There was inadequate detail about assessment processes in the programme
handbook. We think that the University’s complaints process did not address
the students’ concern about the lack of clarity about assessments.
4.5 There were unreasonable delays in the University’s handling of the Group
complaint

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending